Chapter 7

Abbas savoured the feeling of her hands on him until it was time to go. The dinner was to be segregated, as per the customs, and so the women would be seated outside under the setting sky whilst the men were located in one of the banqueting halls.

Haifa felt his warmth leave her as they began to walk away from each other. A gnawing anxiety began digging into her.

Apart from the few faces of the family she recognised, the guests mostly consisted of all the wives and daughters of nobility and class.

Judt as the maids ushered her outside, Princess Thaina appeared behind her, offering a comforting smile.

"You're nervous," she stated. "It's written all over your face,"

"I can't help it," Haifa replied, fiddling with her veil as they took their seats on Majlis cushions layered above rugs that had been spread out over the green grass.

Behind them, a miniature fountain identical to the one in front of the palace sprayed water from its faucets, the wind carrying its little sprays of water over to where they sat. The temperature had dropped to a comforting warm breeze but the air was still heavy with humidity.

"Don't worry, I'll help you with the introductions,"

The Princess took a seat to her left and soon, they were joined by the Queen, her mother and Diya. With them by her side, a wave of courage lifted her mood.

Above them, the amber sky smiled down on them, blushing hues of pink at the bride.

After indulging in an exquisite banquet of food, guests started to rise from their seats to come and greet her. Haifa couldn't help but feel slightly intimidated, especially when many of them came from wealthy upper-class families. The Princess and the Queen stuck by her side, informing her of the names and which families the guests belonged to before they came to congratulate her. Some would blatantly give her pompous glares whilst others gave her plastic smiles.

She was glad that Diya and her mother had not stuck around to witness it.

Once the night sky settled and everyone had completed their prayers, beating drums echoed across the courtyard, an upbeat rhythm humming through her veins.

Haifa had excused herself to change with Thaina. Before the ceremony had begun, her mother had gifted her own wedding kaftan to Haifa.

As she surveyed the material, she was in awe at the magnificent traditional embroidery that gave life to the red underneath. Prints of sunset orange and turmeric yellow decorated her sleeves, whilst small rounded beads scattered across them.

The maids had helped her tie the thickly embroidered belt to her waist, cinching the dress closer and accentuating her curves. Her veil that had been placed majestically over half of her head, was doused in a burgundy purple with flickers of emerald which complemented the hazel of her eyes. It was simply beautiful, and she felt more comfortable in it than in the previous dress. The outfit gave her a sense of familiarity and confidence. Even though she loved her previous white dress, this red outfit was more like her.

If the dress made her look this elegant, she couldn't imagine how amazing her mother had looked in it. Finally, the last touches of jewellery were placed, a traditional Mortasha necklace and Shmailat bangles on each hand, before they made their way back to the courtyard, which was now lively with laughter. Everyone turned to her as she reappeared.

A cheer erupted from the crowd, and her cousins skipped forward, orchestrating the whoops and whistles.

"You look gorgeous in that outfit!" said Layla, her eldest cousin. She entwined her hand with Haifa's and pulling her forward.