23| Date Plan Gone To Hell

[Edited on 5 June, 2019]

Emily's Pov:

"Emi."

I felt a slight tug at my fingers, which brought me out of my reverie. I realized the situation I was in, where I would be caught like a snare in a trap any minute I let down my guard. I looked up to see him staring at me, his eyes held a usual expression of concern.

For a friend.

Yes. That's what he would always feel for me!

Concern.

Friendship.

As if I never deserved anything else.

I smiled at him, my lips curling up longer than I had expected them to, considering nobody in their right mind would like to be in my sleeves. He looked at me as if I had lost my brain a long time ago and he just had gotten time to realise it.

"Lily?"

"Yes, Eddie?"

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"Well, I am more than okay if we put aside the fact that my bladder has been killing me for more than two hours and I wasn't able to blurt it out to you!"

"What! Why didn't you tell me before?"

I shrugged.

"Well, I was fifty per cent embarrassed and fifty per cent uncomfortable for imagining myself peeing behind the bushes of this park in this already short dress while you watch me behind my back!"

"Woah! What gave you that fucking idea?"

"What? That you'll watch me secretly while I pee? "

He chuckled.

"No. That I'll let you zip down your shorts in the middle of this park and would allow you to sit on this dirty mud to leak your bladders while half of the male population gawks at you?"

I laughed at his punny reference.

"Are you sure you won't be joining hands with that 'male population' gawking at me?"

He made face like a distorted cow thrown into the horse stable.

"Nah! I'll rather join my hands to break their faces and their future for exploiting my best friend's butt! Now let's get you to the washroom if we happen to find it in here in time, of course!"

He hooked my arm with his and started to tread along the grass, once again continuing his usual blabber about his work and his day.

Sometimes, I was glad he was such an influential person. He always got distracted easily from the topics. But I did know one thing, that I couldn't avoid questions about my feelings forever. And that one day or another, they'd cost me my twenty years of friendship with him, which I treasured more than anything in my life.

I didn't actually feel like peeing. It was a clear white lie spoken with such casualness that I knew nobody would dare to detect a hint of urgency in it.So when we reached the washroom, I took my time to get fresh while Edward waited for me outside, talking something about dinner and decorations with Michael.

Michael was Edward's bodyguard, assigned to him by his parents, forced by me. I knew he was a powerful and rich man, always busy in deals and work. He had so many enemies without him knowing it. Though he just happened to have the best nature in the world, it didn't mean he would be so eager to let anyone cross his way of success in a threatening way.