Chapter Thirty

My heart ached looking at the female lead. Her hair was in disarray. Her eyes were red and puffy, the bags underneath it were dark. Her dry lips were chapped. Even her complexion was sickly pale.

"Ming Shu, what happened?" I asked in a hushed voice while holding her small hands between mine.

"Miss..." Tears rolled off Ming Shu's cheeks leaving a wet trail behind.

"Tell me." I took out my handkerchief and handed it to her.

"Miss, the crown prince does not want me anymore." Ming Shu confessed and started to pitifully wail.

Xiao Yu who was standing beside me snorted and was about to laugh but I gestured for her to behave herself.

"What do you mean?" I continued to question Ming Shu.

How can the male lead not want the female lead anymore? That's unheard of.

Ming Shu wiped her tear-stained face and looked at me, "Miss, the crown prince chased me out of the palace."

This time, Xiao Yu bursted in laughter, mocking Ming Shu. I reprimanded her and told her to go and wait outside. She made a disgusted face against Ming Shu before stomping her way out of my chambers.

"Ming Shu, did you do something to upset the crown prince?" I asked again.

The way I know Chen Heng Li, he's not that obstinate and would not just spurn someone without any valid reason.

Ming Shu creased her brows, "Miss, are you suspecting that I did something bad that would equate to the crown prince's hatred?"

"Ming Shu, that's not what I meant. I was just ask-"

Before I could finish off what I'm saying, Ming Shu cut me off, "Miss, I didn't do anything wrong."

Okay, female lead.

I was just asking, relax.

"I know you didn't but maybe you should talk to the crown prince. It may just be a misunderstanding." I suggested.

"He won't talk to me." She shook her head.

What exactly did you do, Ming Shu?

"Will you tell me the occurrences before he asked you to leave the palace?" I queried, wanting to get to bottom of this mess.

"Miss Shu Ming An had been coming to the palace to visit the crown prince," the loathing was apparent when Ming Shu mentioned Shu Ming An's name, "After that, the crown prince rarely talked to me."

So Shu Ming An has something to do with this. That girl sure knows how to be a better villainess than I am.

"I was the one helping the crown prince in changing his clothes but he replaced me with another servant. He kept avoiding me." Ming Shu continued.

I truly feel bad for Ming Shu but looking at the situation, she wouldn't really stay long beside the crown prince now that a new scheming character have entered the scene. Add up the fact that Shu Ming An is from one of the most prestigious families in the entire empire. Her backing is so strong compared to Ming Shu who has a humble background.

In the story, despite Ming Shu's circumstances, Chen Heng Li never gave up on her. He held onto her and fought their way to their happy ending. But the plot has changed. Chen Heng Li abandoned Ming Shu.

"Miss, please help me!" Ming Shu dropped on her knees and kowtowed in front of me.

Female lead, I don't know how I'm supposed to help you now. I already did what I can and sent you to Chen Heng Li's arms. I don't think it would be good to meddle between you two anymore.

Ming Shu noticed my apprehension as she quickly stood up and suddenly caged me within her arms.

"Miss, I know you're a good person. Please, I beg of you, help me get back to the palace." Ming Shu pleaded.

I raised my arms and slightly pushed her to put some distance between us, "Ming Shu, to be honest, I don't know how I could help you."

"Miss, please talk to the crown prince! I know he would listen to you!" Xiao Yu demanded as she started to cry again.

How can I talk with Chen Heng Li when he is keen on avoiding me, too?

"Ming Shu, calm down," I patted her shoulders, "I'll see what I can do."

After hearing what I said, Ming Shu's face brightened up and her sobbing stopped as well.

"Thank you so much, Miss! I know I can depend on you!" Ming Shu exclaimed as she bowed her head.

"Go back to your room and sleep. It seems like you weren't able to rest well." I smiled at Ming Shu.

Ming Shu nodded and exited from my room. Xiao Yu rushed in and handed me warm water. I took the glass and finished it in a few gulps.

I sighed.

I said I wouldn't get involved anymore so what am I doing?

"Miss, why did you even offer to help Ming Shu?" Xiao Yu pouted.

"She looked devastated." I shrugged.

And she would probably not stop bothering me about it if I didn't say I would help.

"Miss, be careful with Ming Shu. I haven't noticed it before but she's not that simple." Xiao Yu's voice turned serious.

I nodded.

I noticed it, too.

Ming Shu didn't tell me the whole story, like she was hiding something from me.

"By the way, Miss, while waiting for you outside, the housekeeper came with several servants." Xiao Yu said with a weird smile on her face.

"And?" I raised my brows in question.

"They're currently carrying your belongings to somewhere." Xiao Yu answered.

"What?!" I jumped on my feet and swiftly made my way out of my chamber.

No wonder I heard bumping noises!

I saw the servants carrying the furnitures from my receiving room. My eyes quickly caught the housekeeper who was busy giving instructions.

"Housekeeper Nu, where are you bringing my things?" I pointed at the working men.

"Greetings Madam?" Housekeeper Nu was confused on what to call me, "Princess?"

"Just call me miss but why are you raiding my courtyard?" I questioned him.

"Miss, the first prince ordered for us to let you settle in Xin'ai Courtyard, near the first prince's own Hei'an courtyard." Housekeeper Nu bowed in respect and continued with his task.

"But I want to live in this courtyard..."

"Miss, the first prince said if we fail with our duty, we will lose our jobs. We have families to feed. Please have mercy and don't make it hard for us. Also, excuse this humble servant." Housekeeper Nu uttered with a stoic face before leaving me in a stupefied trance.

"Miss, the first prince wants you to stay by his side!" Xiao Yu exclaimed like a satisfied fangirl.

"Xiao Yu, get back to your senses and stop them!"

Ahh, my privacy and solitude!