29

I lean against Nate's locker with a stupid grin on my face as Nate tells me once again to not make a big deal out of his birthday. I promise him that I won't but we both know that that is a lie.

"If I did happen to make a big deal out of your birthday," I say as I crane my neck around to see his face, "what exactly would be considered too over the top?"

Nate shuts his locker and leans against it with his shoulder, facing me. "Singing. Definitely singing."

My mouth pops open. "You can't be serious."

"I'm being very serious."

"Why?" I ask grinning up at him. I didn't have anything planned per say but I did have something in mind. I already talked to his small group of friends about surprising him at my house for a surprise party and they were all for it. It would be kept small and comfortable. Like a normal night out with his friends plus me.

"Because." Nate swoops down and kisses my forehead. "You are a terrible singer, love."

My skin warms at his endearment. "I am not."

His fingers tickle against mine before boldly intertwining them together. He's become more complacent about showing people that we are an actual couple now. Before, he would about jump out of his skin if I tried to hold his hand as we walked down the hall but now, he is the first one to reach for mine as we navigate through the crowds of people.

Don't even get me started on me attempting to kiss him at school. I swear, I about gave him a heart attack once. Now, it was like we are in our own little bubble and no one else mattered when we are together. Everything else disappeared except me and him.

Just to prove my point, I bring our grasping hands to my mouth as a microphone and begin to sing the first song that comes to my head. It so happens to be Cotton Eye Joe which makes Nate throw his head back in laughter and foreign covering his ear with his now free hand.

Just as I am finishing the chorus while openly gawking at Nate as he laughs, I feel a tap on my shoulder. I spin around and my face heats at being caught making a complete fool of myself but when I see who it is, my face heats in anger.

"Hi," Mariah greets in a cautious tone. She shifts awkwardly beside my best friend who tries to catch my eye with a overly friendly smile. I ignore them both and stretch my neck to see the rest of my former friends standing behind them, all looking equally uncomfortable.

"Hey, Kelly," Alyssa adds. Her eyes roam to Nate and her smile turns polite. "Hi, Nate."

I don't like her calling him Nate and I feel even more irked.

"Hello," Nate politely responds and my annoyance dulls. Only slightly.

"To what do I owe this pleasure, ladies." I move closer to Nate, who has stepped back at the sound of their voices. I cross my arms over my chest and I brace myself against his chest.

"Listen," Alyssa says with apprehensive eyes. "We wanted to apologize in person for the way we have been acting. We think it's totally cool that you two are dating and we, as a whole, want you to know that we are behind it one hundred percent."

I am too stunned for words. Did they honestly think I needed their permission?

"Okay," is all I say and turn back around to face Nate, dismissing them.

"Kelly," Nate utters in a shushed tone. "Maybe you should hear them out."

"No. We don't need their okay to be accepted, Nate. That's ridiculous." Leave it to Nate to want me to forgive all the mean stuff they have said to both me and him.