Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

Chapter 3

Leo

The next morning was the longest damn morning of the whole year. Lunch just wouldn't arrive.

"If none of the employees are promoted, then we'll have to hire," the human resources head said, rubbing her temple.

"Well, if we hire, we'll have to do it quietly. The last thing we want is the press getting wind of what happened," another employee retorted as he tapped on the meeting table, staring at Suzannah.

I sighed and decided to put a stop to this fool show that had been going on for a couple of hours now. Finding a replacement for the head of the financial department of an international corporation was not as difficult as these idiots made it be. They just loved making things complicated, so it looked like they were actually doing something useful when all they'd done was reiterate the same shit with different and more eloquent words.

"If you think the press won't get wind of it, you must be completely out of your damn minds," I said, standing up and buttoning my suit. "The question is not if they'll find out or not. The question is when. And I want to be ready when they do. I want a statement ready at my desk by the end of the day to hand to the press," I said, looking at every single one of their faces as I walked around the table, my hands in my pockets.

"After I approve it, I want it communicated to every media we own and every media we have connections in.

"I don't want the finance employees to go around running their mouths with unnecessary rumors," I said, looking pointedly at the temporary appointed head of finance. He gulped, then nodded.

"Starting next week, the new head of the department will be appointed, and I want the finance department to prepare for an audit."

The finance employees that were present in the meeting all exchanged weary glances. This week would be a very tough one for them. But everything I had ordered needed to be done as soon as possible. I would not have a petty scandal ruin what my father and grandfather had built.

"But who will we be appointed to the position, sir?" Suzannah asked, her green eyes full of questions.

"I have an idea," I said, scratching my bearded chin as I thought about the perfect person for the job. He was a pain in the ass, but he was good.

"Any questions?" I asked, looking around. They all shook their heads as a chorus of 'no, sir' echoed around the room. "If there's something, go through Brandon. Dismissed," I said, walking out of the room.

I didn't get far before the sound of heels echoed behind me as Suzannah's voice called, "Sir."

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes and reluctantly turned. "Yes. Is there something else?"

"No, sir," she said, stopping in front of me, smiling and running her hand through her dark hair. "I was just wondering about the replacement. Should I have something ready for you?"

"No. We'll talk about it later, Suzannah," I said, glancing at my watch. "Anything else?"

"Right," she said, avoiding my deepening scowl. She was keeping me from lunch. "I'll talk to you later if there's something else. Have Sa nice lunch." she smiled. I nodded and turned, walking my way to the office where my lunch was already waiting for me, and it was still warm.

How Brandon managed to get it when he was in the meeting with me was beyond me, but there was a reason he kept his job for as long as he had. I would never admit it to his face, but he was the best I've seen so far. He was due for a promotion.

I grabbed my lunch and headed for the rooftop. I was not late since just as I opened the door to the rooftop, I could see her climbing the last step of the ladder.