Faceless

I stared at them blankly. I couldn't tell if they were staring back at me. Imagine taking peach colored rubber, then just stretching it over a human skull. No hair, so features, just concave indents where the eyes would be, a small lump where the nose should be placed, and no mouth.

All Might and Recovery Girl looked like monsters from a horror film. For someone like me, with a fragile heart and large imagination, it was frightening enough to put me on my guard. I couldn't tell if they were sad, or happy, or confused, scared, angry, or concerned.

It just scared me, to feel so in the dark. I was sure it was only temporary though. I smiled shakily at the two faceless humans that were hunched over my bed.

"Are you really sure that you're All Might and Recovery Girl? I mean, I remember All Might, um, h-having a face." They seemed to look at each other. Most likely with furrowed brows and downturned mouths.

The short woman that seemed to be Recovery Girl waddled over to a desk and slid open a compartment on the underside of it, and plucked a small blue flashlight out from inside.

She scooted back over, hopped onto a stool beside the bed, then gestured for me to turn my head towards her. I reluctantly obeyed and shifted so I was face to no-face with her. I twitched uncomfortably as she studied my features with her nonexistent eyes.

"I-I'm scared." I blatantly stated. I hadn't meant to speak my thoughts out loud, but it slipped right between the gap in my teeth. All Might shook his head.

"It's probably nothing." He said softly. It calmed me down slightly, and gave me some more confidence to look Recovery Girl in her empty eyes. She clicked on the flashlight and pushed my head down. Her bony fingers roughly rustled my hair around. She started to search on my scalp vigorously, yanking on my hair and bending me over further.

After a while she stopped on the spot that had been cut by glass.

"I didn't notice because I immediately healed you, but there's a laceration on the side of your head here." She touched my head softly with her tiny hands.

"It's possible that you cut deep into the skull, or have a foreign object lodged inside your skin. But I'm not a specialist." She paused to lick her lips, then sat back down on her stool.

"I'm going to send you to a radiology building, so you can get an MRI of your head." She sweetly spoke. I nodded slightly. She hopped off her stool and swatted at All Might's legs in an attempt to get him to move.

She picked up a pen, and sloppily slipped the tip onto an empty piece of lined paper. She handed it back to me. I read the messy handwriting that gave an address and phone number to get my x-rays done.

The bell rung. The clock read 3:25.

"How long was I out?" I said sharply. "Six hours and nine minutes." Recovery Girl replied.

"Now get home, I made your appointment just get there on time. It's around seven tonight at that address." She gestured to the paper in my hand. I smiled widely.

"Thank you!" I grinned as I shot out the door. It was odd, looking through the halls and seeing blank faces. No longer did the students look diverse, and no longer could I see the bright faces of my peers. I shook off the thought, saying I'd be fine, that the doctors would fix me.

* * *

I entered through the front door of my home. My mother, a short, stout woman with thick green hair always tied half up half down, was standing in the kitchen, scrubbing away at a small plate in the sink. I remember her having bags under her eyes, and an everwhite smile plastered to her face.