Chapter 24: GoblinTown

(Thorin's POV)

I lay with my back against Arulla's, if she moved I felt it. Sleep never found me that night. I only had my eyes closed listening to the sounds around me. I quickly open my eyes to check if everyone is asleep. Well, everyone except Bofur, he's supposed to be in watch and was doing well at that.

I close my eyes again, hoping sleep would take me. I'm glad it didn't because I hear the pitter patter of quiet shuffling. I slowly open my eyes and look at the ground, searching for the moving feet.

"Where do you think you're going?" I hear Bofur's voice and my eyes trail to him slowly, Bilbo in front of him with all of his belongings packed up and walking stick in hand.

"Back to Rivendell." Bilbo huffed.

"No, no, you can't turn back now, you're part of the Company. You're one of us." Bofur argued. I felt my stomach sink as I knew what Bilbo would say next, but kept my mouth and my eyes closed.

"I'm not though, am I? Thorin said I should never have come, and he was right. I'm not a Took, I'm a Baggins, I don't know what I was thinking. I should never have run out my door."

I sigh and regret the words that I had said, but my pride will never allow me to forgive him. I open my eyes slowly and look blankly at a wall, listening intently to the unraveling conversation.

"You're homesick; I understand-" Bofur began it Bilbo interrupted

"No, you don't, you don't understand! None of you do - you're dwarves. You used to - to this life, to living on the road, never settling in one place, not belonging anywhere."

I look down in shame and realize that Bilbo was right. I knew Arulla was awake now because I felt her arm move to my side and she placed her hand there. I smiled sadly at the thought but it did not help. We really didn't belong anywhere but Erebor and I felt helpless to not be able to give my child a home to call her own.

"I am sorry, I didn't..." Bilbo stutters

I hear Bofur sigh and turn towards the sleeping dwarves, "No, you're right. We don't belong anywhere." He turns back to Bilbo and puts a comforting hand on his shoulder. "I wish you all the luck in the world. I really do.

Bilbo smiles at him and soon turns and began to walk towards the entrance. Bofur's voice stopped him and I froze at his voice.

"What's that?"

I raise my head slightly and see something glowing in Bilbo's belt. I see Bilbo pull his sword partway from its sheath. My eyes widen when I see terror on his face and his sword glowing a bright blue.

I raise my head a little more as I hear strange machinery noises below us. I look down and to my horror, I see cracks form in the sand on the floor of the cave

I sit up quickly and bellow loud,

"Wake up! Wake up!" Arulla was the first to sit up, I exchange a glance at her before the trapdoor gives way and we were falling

(Arulla's POV)

"Wake up! Wake up!" I hear Thorin bellow. I instantly shot straight up and gave him a worried look, but I was given no time to speak when the ground beneath us disappeared.

I was toppled in the middle until Bombur fell on top of me and a few others.

"Where is Arulla?" I hear someone bellow. I wiggle my feet and someone grabs my ankle. "Get off her you fools!" Thorin angrily bellows again. I finally was able to breathe once everyone was off of me. I see a hand outstretched and I gladly take it, already knowing the owner of the hand.