Chapter Fourteen

I slowly and dramatically take my time climbing down the stairs, with one hand on the trail and the other lifting the hem of the long skirt.

"I know you would look beautiful," a warm and muscular voice says.

Lifting my gaze, I catch Ethan staring right at me with a hint of a suppressed smile on his lips as he's standing at the end of the stair, wearing a dark suit, one that is wrapping his body like glue and showing off his muscles.

I nervously laugh, finding myself a bit self-conscious and surprised, knowing he's being genuine this time. There are no cameras, no observer to judge the way he speaks; it's only us and him finally noticing me.

"Thanks," I reach the final few steps. He comes forth and offers his hand to me. I accept it without hesitation.

"I thought maybe before we can join the celebration, we could have our own," he says smiling, leading me toward the kitchen.

I grin foolishly. Looking at him and at the hand which is holding mine. What is this about?

"Here you go," he handles me a glass of wine, no doubt one of his finest.

"Thank you," I inhale it. It smells alcoholic at the first smell, but there is a hint of aroma to it,

"By the way, I wanted to apologize for earlier. I realized that I should have spent my time here with you on our engagement day." he clicks his glass to mine and we take a quick sip. Hmm, it does taste great too, "you know, it was really foolish of me. What if I was caught by a paparazzi and then the news would have been all over the media. I instantly realized that when mom mentioned it to me," he says shaking his head. I stop mid drinking.

So... He's not apologizing because he's sorry for not being with me; but, he's apologizing because he feels foolish and his mother had to tell him that.

My smile fades. Not that Ethan would take notice. So, all this becoming sweet and noticing me is a third-party force and that of his own embarrassment.

"Oh," I look down, disappointed,

"Do you want something to eat before we get on the road?" he asks,

"No, thank you," I put the wine glass down and grab my small matching purse off the counter.

Suddenly, all the excitement and happiness for the party, if I had any left since the beginning, drains away. It's just like he suddenly popped the balloon and now there is nothing to look forward.

The ride to the venue is short and yet appalling when the silence stretches longer as we go. It's then when I realize that I might as well spend the rest of this whole year contract, staring out of the window, in a ghastly silence wondering when this would end.

"We're here," Ethan says, turning off the engine after parking in front of the venue, where a valet appears to take care of the car.

Here it is, I tell myself while waiting for the car. The final moments of spilling the beans officially. Of course, there is always a way out, not that I have a way out, but even that wouldn't go without humiliation and complete disaster. Ethan wouldn't allow it certainly for his own reputation.

"Are you nervous?" he asks, as he places his hand on my waist, walking with me side by side and up the few stairs to the entrance,

"A little," I confess honestly.

"I've got you. Don't worry," he says.

"CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR ENGAGEMENT," The crowd shouts as we enter the hall.