4| A Rude Awakening

I've spent enough time waiting in my car, so I decided to head into the main campus. On the way, I end up overhearing the conversations of a group of students.

While I didn't mean to eavesdrop, they were talking about the popular animes of the season. Judging from its context, they're probably talking about Fighter x Fighter and One Whole. I should get back to finishing the series soon.

A short walk later, I stop and sit on a bench in front of the school library. Apparently, I'm waiting for someone, but who? Just then, two girls call out in the distance, waving at me.

Oh, right. I wave back as I cross the campus to meet them

"Hey, weeb, ya ready to hit the mall?" The girl on the left asks. The way she talks annoys me, yet it was endearing.

"Yeah, I'm ready. I still can't believe you forced me into driving you" My mouth moved on its own.

"We're only going to buy a few things, and it won't take long. So quit complaining" The girl on the right chides. She is more composed, yet I know behind that gentle demeanor she can be fierce.

"If it makes you feel any better, we'll treat you some lunch on the way. You hungry?"

I beam upon hearing her mention lunch.

"Hungry? I'm starving. You better not back out on that promise because I'm going to order one of everything"

I'm totally excited. I can't wait to finally eat something. It feels as if I haven't eaten in ages.

As we walk into the parking lot, I forget where exactly I parked my car. This should be easily solved though.

I reach into my pocket, pull out my keys, and press a button.

"Breep-Breep"

I open my eyes and reach across the be-

The sensation of falling snaps my focus into reality, jolting me awake. Without a thought, I swing my hands down, latching on whatever I could and pull before I fall off the branch.

I struggle against my weight and gravity, tilting forward ever so slightly until the moment where I finally balance out. I didn't see how far over the edge I was as I had abandoned using my eyes for that extra bit of concentration that was needed to save myself.

I haul myself back up, heaving as I hug the branch for stability. My blood is pounding in my head and for a second, I've forgotten where I was.

"Breep-Breep"

I look up to the source of the sound, revealing the culprit to be a small red bird perched directly on the branch above. It tilts its head when it noticed me.

"Breep"

The bird flutters its feathers and takes off, leaving me dazed and confused about what just happened. When my senses returned, I blink.

I...I'm still here, aren't I?

The realization made my heart sink, like the world just came crashing down around me. For just a brief moment, I had a hope that maybe everything that happened yesterday was just a bad dream. But reality couldn't be further from the truth. 

This isn't a dream, this is real. I wasn't back home. I wasn't in that parking lot. I'm here, in this tree.

Alone.

I gaze at my hands, my claws.

I'm stuck like this, aren't I? This...is my life now.

A monster.