Bonus chapter

Christmas for Lydia had been her favourite time of the year since she was a child. She spent it with her family. Sometimes in California, sometimes in Colorado. Wherever she was, it was filled with love, magic, memories that would stay with her forever.

Plus the food was always incredible.

But this year, she wasn't sure what to expect. She had been dating Carter for a year and a half and this was the first Christmas in their new shared home in the centre of Castle pines. The two of them had invited both of their families and while their house was spacious, she was sure it would soon feel claustrophobic.

The single story villa style home wasn't something that she had imagined herself living in. But she loved it. Hard wood floors were polished throughout the house, large Victorian windows allowed a constant stream of sunshine in— when it wasn't overcast with snow and clouds— thick deep burgundy curtains and light fixtures were the perfect contrast against the light cream coloured walls.

A tall faux Christmas tree stood in the corner of the living room, twinkling with fairy lights and presents scattered underneath its branches. The fireplace crackled, keeping the house warm and the vibe comfortable. Lydia loved the aesthetic of a blazing flame, the snow falling outside and hot food cooking in the kitchen. It made her want to curl up in a blanket with a hot chocolate and her man.

Carter came sauntering into the kitchen where Lydia stood at the oven, poking a thermometer into her roast lamb to check whether it was cooked or not. His stubble coated his sharp jaw, his hair fell in unkempt waves that tousled when he ran his fingers through the soft strands. He leaned against the countertop and pushed the sleeves of his fitted long sleeve up to his elbow as he crossed his legs at the ankles and smiled.

"How's it coming along, killer?" He questioned with a grin that still gave Lydia a flutter in her stomach. She pushed the oven door closed and huffed, blowing the strands of her hair that had come loose from her top knot.

"It's almost done. A few more minutes I think."

She slipped her bright red oven mitts off and threw them down on the pine countertop. She was expecting the guests to begin arriving at around two in the afternoon so the two of them still had an hour to make sure that it was all perfect. Lydia had never hosted Christmas before and it was stressing her out a little, as much as she didn't want to admit that to Carter.

She strolled towards him, the pager on his belt catching her attention for a brief moment. He was on call for the hospital and she hoped to the high heavens that it wouldn't go off this evening. She wanted him around for more reasons than just support. It wouldn't be the same if he wasn't with her on their first Christmas in their new home.

"Your Mom still coming?" She questioned with a small voice as she reached him, wrapping her arms around his waist and staring up at him.

One edge of his mouth curled up as he offered her a small smile, tucking her hair behind her ear before his hand came to rest on the nape of her neck. Even when his smile didn't reach his eyes, or his gaze was a little more sad than usual, he still managed to look at her with the utmost adoration and affection.

"She sent me a text message about ten minutes ago letting me know that she might not make it until late tonight," he flinched, as much as he attempted to look unaffected, she could see that it hurt him. "So I don't expect to see her tonight."

Carters relationship with his mother had never been stable. She had him in boarding school for most of his high school life. Although he managed to convince her to let him live at home for the last year and a half of school, she didn't have a lot to do with him even when he was around. He could never figure out what the problem was, he tried so hard to make her proud. Going to college, becoming a doctor, purchasing his own home and committing to a beautiful girl, none of it seemed to phase Mrs Mason and it stung Carter, a lot.