Chapter 14

Little less intense this time as we go back to Kami caught redhanded with a bowl of Cheerios. :)

_________________

Kami cautiously set her spoon down on the table as her mind raced with questions. Who was this girl? What was she doing here? Were they in trouble for coming into the house when no one was home?

A grin spread across the girl's face. "But since you're here!" She flew across the room and wrapped her arms around Kami in a tight hug. "I am so pleased to meet you. Neina spoke about you coming, but I thought they changed their minds. Gedo says it is not safe, but when is it ever safe?" She pulled back and stared at Kami, as if she was trying to memorize her features. "You are lovely! Just like your photograph." 

And then Kami recognized her. The hair was different, but her face was the same. It was the girl from the picture on the wall.

"I'm Yasmin. Your cousin?" the girl prompted. "Didn't Neina tell you about me?"

"Who's Neina and Gedo?"

"Neina is Grandmother. Gedo is Grandfather."

"We've only talked a couple of times, and she didn't tell me much about the family," Kami said. 

She pulled back and soaked in all the details of her new-found relative: the curly hair, the perfect complexion, the stylish jeans and bag. Unlike many of the women she had seen in Egypt so far, Yasmin was not veiled.  

 "Your father and my mother are brother and sister," Yasmin said, as if trying to prompt her memory.

Kami had always wished for a sibling, even when her friends kept insisting how lucky she was to be an only child and have a room to herself. Now she had found a cousin, which was almost as good as having a sister. She felt overwhelmed with waves of conflicting emotions—joy, excitement, trepidation, shock. She felt an irresistible urge to both laugh and cry. Deep down something stirred, whispering that her life had irrevocably changed. 

Kami remembered the picture on the wall of the two little girls clinging to their mother's hands. 

"You have a sister, right?" she asked hesitantly. 

"Yes, Selena is my older sister. Where is Neina anyway? And Gedo? They didn't know I was coming. I was scheduled to work, but I finally found a replacement so I could attend Gedo's exhibition."

"I don't know. My, our grandparents were supposed to pick me up from the airport, but they never showed up. We found the door unlocked and came inside, but they aren't here either," Kami said.

Yasmin looked over her cousin's shoulder and noticed Liam. 

"Who is that?" she asked.

"Liam," Kami answered. "He was kind enough to drive me here."

He gave a little wave. Yasmin smiled politely, then her brow furrowed.

"Let me make some calls to see if I can find them," Yasmin said.

She walked out of the room as she dialed her cell.

Kami glanced over at Liam, who gave her a lopsided smile. 

"Guess that worked out. For a minute there, I thought you were going to attack her with your spoon," he said.

"The thought of weapons did come to mind. But what about you? You were just sitting there doing nothing." 

"You forget. I could understand what she was saying, and somehow 'Grandmother, I have come after all' doesn't seem all that threatening."

"Right," Kami said, feeling sheepish. Of course Liam had understood the Arabic. "But you looked so concerned."