[chapter 11]

//OOF HELLO SCHOOL IS KILLING ME SO IM COPING THROUGH LARGE AMOUNTS OF GAY ENJOY//

Even after taking a fifty minute shower and dawdling as much as humanly possible while getting dressed, you still found yourself ready a good hour before you and the others were supposed to meet. You were sitting at your desk, picking lint off the plain white shirt you'd been given and staring at your bed. This was probably the first time you'd been truly bored- usually, you were fine keeping yourself company and wouldn't mind being alone for hours on end, but this wasn't the case when you were waiting for something.

The situation felt vastly different because of how much you were looking forward to spending time with your class. You really appreciated all the steps they were taking to get to know you better, but you couldn't help but curse them for arranging to meet so late.

What could you even do to pass the time? What did other people do? You'd seen a lot of people with phones- not that you knew much about them, just that they could be used for communication, but people used them an awful lot so you figured they had to be fun. A phone was something you felt you seriously needed if you were going to be a normal teenager. That, and some new clothes.

You glanced over to the clock on your desk. 8:27. You felt like you were going to combust if you spent another minute sitting and waiting in that chair, so you rose and padded about your room for a bit, pondering what you could do to pass the time. The balcony? That could waste a couple of minutes, and you had wanted to go out there to do nothing, after all. You walked over to the windoor, half sliding on the hardwood floor because of your socks, and stepped out onto the balcony.

The first thing you realised was that it was freezing, and that you were an idiot for not wearing a jacket. The second thing you realised was that the sunset you were looking at was so mesmerising that you couldn't pull yourself away from it to go and retrieve said jacket. The sun was nearly submerged under the horizon- you could still see small slithers of light peering through the gaps between buildings and glowing softly over the tops of them.

Craning your head back slightly, you began to observe the sky itself. Closer to the sun, it was a vibrant shade of orange that stained the surrounding clouds a soft peachy colour. Orange faded into red, and red into purple, until you were staring behind you at the darker beginnings of the nighttime sky. You were in awe at the transition from dusk to twilight above you- so much so that you couldn't decide which side to look at.

You always felt so calm when you focused on the sky, but this was different. You were completely at peace as you zoned out to stare blankly at the sunset- it was a strange feeling, like you wanted the sky and all of its comforting colours, clouds and stars to engulf you. Could people live in the sky? Surely it would be cold, but you didn't care. At that moment, you were okay with letting yourself wander through your own childish fantasies of living in a sunset inside a palace made of fluffy, peach clouds. Or you could live in the midnight sky on a blanket of stars surrounded by an aurora.

The idea was entirely impossible, you knew that, but each new abode in the sky you thought up sent a new wave of calm over you that made you forget entirely about the sheer boredom you'd experienced a few moments ago.

You stayed like that for a while; leaning over the edge of your balcony staring intently as the sun fell lower and lower behind the city. With every passing moment the oranges and purples that had stained half the sky sunk down with the sun, and more pitch blackness rolled over in its place. You waited there until the sun was no longer in sight, and everything was plunged into darkness, the only source of light coming from the slow rising moon and the stars.

Finally, you willed yourself to turn around, briefly seeing the person in the dorm next to you turn off their light, before you checked the time from the clock on your desk. It was 9:18.