14

EDITED

14

When I woke up the next morning, I immediately went to my phone to see a text from Jackson. I heaved out a relieved sigh.

Jackson: hey can we talk? when's your first class?
Me: sure. uh 11:30.
Jackson: meet me in front of the school in half hour, please
Me: okay. see you then.

I got up and changed into black crop leggings and a basketball tee with a hoodie since this morning was mediocrely chilly.

I was about to leave, when I heard grumbles and then Claire spoke. "Where you headed?" She asked with closed eyes.

"Um," I don't want her to get all...well... Claire-mode by telling her I'm going to see Jackson. She doesn't seem like she's been feeling well and she deserves some sleep. "Just the track. Run a little before class."

"Have fun, best friend."

I chuckled softly. "See you later, Clairey."

I walked out and made my way down to the front campus.

I was quite giddy to finally see Jackson. I missed him a lot yesterday, you can only imagine how much I miss him now.

I sound pathetic. We're not even dating.

I was walking over to the schoolyard with my hands in my pocket when I felt presence beside me. I turned and saw Jackson.

Surprised, yet happy, I couldn't hold myself back. I threw by arms around his waist and hugged him tightly.

"Hey, Jace." He murmured as he hugged me back. "I can't believe I forgot to tell you were I was going."

"Where did you go?" I asked, truly curious.

"Visited my mom and sister. You see, I get this random, like, strike to the heart, I guess you could say, and I realized I missed my mom and sister a lot. So...I just packed an overnight bag and left. I didn't tell anybody and i accidentally left my phone here."

"Oh." I didn't even think for him to be with his family. "It's alright. Not a big deal. How are they?"

"They're doing good." Jackson said with a small smile on his face. He pulled away from the hug completely, but then took my hand as we started walking. "My sister joined dance and she's doing really good."

"How old is she again?"

"Thirteen." Then Jackson's eyes narrowed. I furrowed my eyebrows and looked around to see what he could've narrowed his eyes at. "She's got a fucking boyfriend. She's thirteen! She doesn't need a boyfriend!"

I chuckled softly, "she's growing up, Jack. You're her big brother, it's understandable you're taking it this way. But, only kill him if he hurts her." I winked, with a small smile. Jackson chuckled too and moved his arm around my shoulders and pulled me to his chest.

We stopped walking when we reached the front of the school; Jackson took his arm off of my shoulder and leant back against a tree.
I went to go lean next to him, but he pulled me by my hand, in front of him, and turned me so I was facing him.

"I know you missed me."

I blushed, probably, four different shades of red. "I know you missed me." I retorted, stupidly.

Really, Jaycee? That's the best you could come up with?

"Yeah."

"Don't - wait what?" I must have heard him wrong.

"Yeah, I missed you." He repeated with teasing grin on his face. "I know you missed me, too."

I stayed silent for a moment, while looking down. "Maybe a little." I said quietly. Jackson lifted my head up gently by my chin with his thumb and pointer finger.