Chapter Thirty Four

I was currently reading a book when Ming Shu barged into my chambers unannounced.

"Miss, you're back!" She ecstatically exclaimed as she invited herself to sit on the chair in front of me.

"Yes, two days ago." I answered, not even raising my head to look at her.

"I thought you would stay in the Western Border for a while." She sheepishly said with a smile on her face.

I closed the book I was holding, settled it on the table and looked at her directly in the eyes, "Where have you been?"

Her expression stiffened, her eyes avoided mine and gazed on the book I was reading a moment ago, "Miss, I was bored so I went out."

"I thought you said weren't feeling well when we left for the Western Border." I prodded.

"I-I..." She stuttered but she immediately calmed herself and reasoned, "I went to buy medicine and I met an old friend so I stayed with her for a while."

You're lying.

"Is that so?"

She nodded profusely.

"I'm sorry, Miss. I was so happy to see an old friend that I forgot to inform the Housekeeper about my whereabouts.

I didn't question her further and proceeded, "The crown prince came."

Ming Shu's eyes widen in glee, "Miss, did you talk to him?"

"I did."

"What did he say?" She clasped her hands in expectation.

Not to trust you.

"Not much."

Ming Shu ignored my passive tone and continued to prompt me.

"Ming Shu, I already did what I can to help you but," I uttered, my face void of any emotions, "that's it. I can't help you anymore."

In an instant, her smile was wiped off and replaced with a frown. She was obviously confused about what I said.

"What do you mean?"

I just looked at her blankly, not responding to her question.

"Xiao Yu!" I called in Xiao Yu who immediately came. Xiao Yu was surprised to see Ming Shu but she acted like she didn't see her and walked towards me.

"Yes miss?" Xiao Yu grinned, obviously aware of what's going to happen.

"Open my drawer and bring me the red pouch." I instructed and Xiao Yu did as she was told. She brought out a large pouch and laid it on top of the table.

I pushed the pouch towards Ming Shu and calmly stated, "Ming Shu, take this money and go."

"Miss, are you throwing me out?" Ming Shu's voice raised.

Xiao Yu butted in and scolded Ming Shu, "Don't raise your voice on my miss!"

Ming Shu paid no attention to Xiao Yu and kept eyeing with me.

"This is the last time I'm seeing you. So take this money and live a good life." I said and gestured for Xiao Yu to bring Ming Shu out of my room.

"Miss! I thought you're going to help me!" Ming Shu shouted in anger as Xiao Yu tried to drag her out.

I picked up the book and continued reading, disregarding the frenzied Ming Shu who was trying to get out of Xiao Yu's hold.

"Ming Shu, stop causing trouble and peacefully come with me or else I'm calling the guards." Xiao Yu threatened her but it didn't bother Ming Shu as she kept shouting to get my attention.

Not able to take it anymore, Xiao Yu summoned the guards and let them haul Ming Shu out of the manor.

"You're lucky that my miss is benevolent or else you'd end up in jail for creating ruckus inside the first prince and first princess' home." Xiao Yu spatted at Ming Shu before ordering the guards to shut the gates.

Xiao Yu came back with a satisfied smile and clapped her hands in triumph.

"Miss, you did well."

"I know." I smiled at Xiao Yu.

Ahh, now I don't have to think about the female lead. I hope she reflects and choose to live a happy life.

"But miss, what made you change your mind about Ming Shu?" Xiao Yu asked as she picked up the toppled chair and carried it to its original place, "Was it because of what the crown prince has said?"

Chen Heng Li didn't really say anything besides me trusting Ming Shu too much.

I shrugged in response.

I just had this sudden realization that I can't keep entangling myself with the female lead anymore.  As much as I have this special attachment to her, I can't continue doing her favors. I think I already did enough for her.

"Miss, would you like to have a walk at the garden? The peonies have bloomed." Xiao Yu offered, trying to lighten my dampened mood.

"Okay." I agreed as I have nothing else to do and to remove my earlier with Ming Shu from my mind, as well.

As we walked pass Chen Mu's courtyard, I noticed the orange chrysanthemums surrounding the gazebo.

"Xiao Yu, let's go there." I pointed at the spot and led Xiao Yu in.

I bent down and picked one flower. I held it near my nose and inhaled the herby fragrance. I was enjoying the scenery when a girl came towards us.

"Why did you pick the flowers?!" She exclaimed in disbelief as she rudely took the flowers off my hand.

Taken a back by the sudden appearance of the furious girl, I turned stiff standing at the same spot.

A servant rushed up towards us, pulled the girl behind her and bowed apologetically to me, "Madam, please forgive my daughter."

The girl turned towards the older woman, "Mother, she picked up the first prince's flowers!"

"Ning Ai, apologize! This is the First Princess Bai Fan, the First Prince's wife!" Her mother reprimanded the girl named Ning Ai.

Ning Ai staggered and dropped the flower she took from me and muttered in an inaudible voice, "Wife?"

The woman pushed her daughter's head to bow, "What are you waiting for? Apologize to madam!"

Ning Ai, still stunned, spoke a flat apology.

She turned towards me and bowed repeatedly, "I hope Madam forgives the brazen act of this servant's daughter. My daughter has only came back and is not aware of Madam's presence."

"Its okay, you may go." I dismissed them and watched the mother frantically pulling her daughter away.

"Xiao Yu, what just happened?" I blinked my eyes.

"I don't know either, Miss." Even Xiao Yu was speechless.

"Let's go back to my room. I think I've seen enough flowers for today." I sighed.

"Miss, I think that Ning Ai likes the master." Xiao Yu blurted out of nowhere.

Eh?

I was expecting for a love rival to pop out any time soon but...

Don't tell me that's my love rival?

Are you kidding me?