02 | the rich

"He's what?" Steve shook his head in disbelief, his jaw dropping open just a fraction, in complete incredulity. His chest heaves slightly as he inhales raggedly - it's not the strangest news that he's ever received, far from it, but it does lead him down a spiralling trail of thoughts that make him wonder just how many rich people enjoy using their money to dress up and take to the streets to fight crime, rather than preventing it by investing in their community. The world has changed a great deal in seventy years - anybody could understand that. But the development that a startling portion of the world's wealthy population liked to dress up in spandex was another thing entirely. 

"You heard me, the man runs around dressed like a bat! He has his thing, I have my thing- he fights superman, I fight evil robots that I created," Tony shrugged again, glancing at the team, who were all sat on various chairs while he stood, talking to them. 

"Superman?" Steve raised an eyebrow tiredly, looking back at Tony. It was becoming increasingly difficult to discern what was possible these days and what wasn't - humanity had progressed at an astonishing rate, and he'd seemingly been left to fend for himself. 

"You know, sometimes I forget that you've been a capsickle for seventy years," Tony said, leaning against a marble countertop, "Alien man, REALLY big deal. Everybody loved him, the guy died protecting the world, even though he had a bit of a lovers tiff with Batman." 

"And where were you in all this?" Wanda asked, leaning back on the small chair. 

"Well, I was figuring out how to make the suits, Capsickle was still asleep, you were in Sokovia, and honestly, I have no idea what the rest of you were doing." Tony hummed. 

"And the Batman is Mr. Wayne?" Steve asked, rubbing at his forehead wearily, trying to soothe himself in some way, or to prevent some incoming headache. 

"Well, to most people they're entirely separate," Tony explained, clicking his wrists, "Unlike me, he prefers to keep his superhero business on the low. Can't blame him really, it is difficult trying to live up to everybody's expectations." 

"Do all billionaires run around in superhero costumes these days?" Steve frowned. 

"I'm a bit of a trend setter, if you hadn't noticed," Tony responded vaguely, "I trust you'll all come to the party?"