P h o t o #17 - Chest Pressure

~Cooper's POV~

I ran my fingers through my usually unruly mop of light brown hair, trying to calm the nerves that rocked like twenty foot waves in my stomach.

I leaned my head back against my bed, listening to the light rain tap on my windows. The sound that would normally calm me down only made me paranoid at this point.

My thoughts roared over any noise that sounded in the outside world, threatening to take over one another. Even with all of the conflict, I still managed to ask myself one same question, over and over. 'Why did those words come out of my mouth last night?!' I asked myself for at least the tenth time, thinking back to the events of the night before.

At the thought, my mood only seemed to diminish even more. I remembered Elliot's shocked face as he processed my question, his eyes mirroring the pitiful expression I didn't know I was wearing. The look in his eyes were stained into my memory. I didn't mean to make him express that face. I gulped down a lump at the thought.

I had realized at that exact time, after finally asking the question that had been lodged in my throat for so long, I found myself not even wanting to hear his reply. And it wasn't because I didn't care to hear it anymore, even after processing the situation we were both in, but because of fear.

I feared he would say yes.

And I didn't even get to hear his reply, even after all of the mental fighting in my head. As soon as we had all settled in at the top of the hill, ready to enjoy the night stars with each other, authorities of the park ran up and shooed us away, screaming about how they would contact our guardians if we didn't leave the premises immediately.

The car ride home was silent that night as Elliot drove. He didn't make eye contact with me since.

I now sat in my room on this Sunday afternoon, leaning against my bed frame as I sat on the dark, plush carpet of my room, and contemplated my odd actions from the night before. I still couldn't figure out what willed those words out of my mouth. Everything seemed to be a blur after the heavy slumber I fell into after getting home, my brain screaming about wanting to forget everything. All I did know was that when Parker and I exited the haunted house last night and spotted Emma and Elliot sitting closely on the bench a few yards away, my chest tightened up.

It was an uncomfortable feeling, making my whole mood drop sufficiently. I couldn't even force myself to be cheery, something i had mastered long ago. I unthinkingly looked down at my chest, which was covered in one of my usual, comfy sweatshirts, and put my right hand up to the area that stung. It hurt just thinking about it.

I sighed, shaking my head. My hair bounced around as I got up off of the ground and opened my bedroom door. I decided to do something about this unwanted pain. Looking around, I noticed how quiet the house was, always was when my friends weren't over. Kae must be asleep by now, taking her afternoon nap. I knew Connor was always quiet, probably sitting in the family room watching TV, zoning in and out of his imagination like he always did. .

My thoughts drifted to my parents. Going on business trip after business trip. My siblings and I loved them a lot, and they clearly loved their children, but it was a bit lonely sometimes without them. Sometimes I found myself selfishly wishing they would quiet they're jobs, but then how would we support our family and our property?

I let go of a long breath I didn't know I was holding, getting myself back on track to what I really had in mind. I always seemed to get lost in thought, my drifting mind taking over.

I shut my door behind me with a small thump, tip-toed down the winding hallway of my huge house and quietly past Kae's room, and finally found my way to Kayla's room. I almost winced at the blinding sight, her door adorned with sparkly decorations and an equally attention-grabbing name plaque stating that it was her room.