Chapter 3

Harvey

One year later...............

Fast forward one year later, i have graduated from college and decided to set up my own computer and software business. It was still a small business, but it is what I loved and studied! Making apps and developing softwares and tinkering with computers was my niche. I know it would pick up with time, for now, I did computer repair and software for my clients and free lance jobs for people online. I was making enough money to sustain me and pay my bills, also I worked from home which was very convenient.

Jake was busy with work and part time deejaying. He was getting gigs left and right. He was really good at it and Bella worked at an accounting firm. Math and numbers were her thing.

Its been a whole year since the Vegas incident and it still felt surreal to think about it. Me and my supposed husband had had no form of communication or anything and he was now more famous than ever. On top of acting grossing box office blockbusters, he was now into directing and producing and a foray into the fashion world. I couldn't well avoid all news about him! His face was allover the news and magazines.

I checked the time and realized it was already 7pm and I was meeting Bella and Jake for drinks.
Every Friday after work, we met up for drinks and caught up.

I entered the bar and found Bella already there sipping on some vodka as she waited for us. I sat down at ordered for a drink while Jake came in.

"So Harvey, you haven't dated in a while, why is that?"

I also wonder myself! Why haven't I dated anyone in a whole year? I just had a few hook ups here and there nothing serious.

"I don't know, I haven't met anyone I guess ?" I reply shrugging

"Well, I can set you up with some guy from my office" Bella says

Both Jake and I burst out laughing at this. Bella didn't exactly have the best taste! She could probably set you up with some homeless person and it would seem fine with her.
After chatting and hanging out till late, I head home to sleep.

I am woken by a very incessant ringing of my phone and sleeping slide the screen and answer it,

"Hello?" I say

"Are you Harvey Klein?" The person asks

"Yes" I reply

"Well sir, i am sorry to inform you that miss Isabelle Klein was in accident and died on spot, could you please come down to the hospital?" He says

I fall down and immediately start sweating as tears and sobs racked my body. After our parents died, it was only me and Isabelle left. She had a baby, little Ashton, but his father refused to take responsibility for the baby. Isabelle raised her baby single handedly. We were very close and had holidays and kept in touch.

To hear that my big sister was dead! Just like that! I was so confused the first thing I did was call Bella.

"Bella, Isabelle had an accident and died on the spot, please help me and go pick Ashton  from her place. " I sobbed

"What....what do you mean Isabelle...oh my God!" She sobbed

"Just get Ashton and meet me at Central hospital" I tell her running out of the house and getting a cab.

I arrive at the hospital and find the police and head straight to them.

"Harvey Klein?" Can you identify the body? The policeman asks

"Yes, i can" I say and they lead me to a certain room.
The smell of death is pungent and depressing and I wish I didn't have to be here but here i am.
Lying on the table is the figure of a woman, i inch closer and pull back the sheet and pray it isn't her but somehow I know its her!
I look down and I see her lifeless form.
I confirm to the police officer that she is the one and they write down the details and promise to send us the post mortem report.
I sit at the reception head bowed and then I look up and see Bella with Ashton on her hip plus Jake.

They come and give me a group hug and Ashton puts his arms for me to pick him up.

"Uncle Harvey" he says

"Come here champ"  I say and take him in my arms and hug him tight. It was now me and him.

The next day, we have a wake at the funeral home for my sister and then have her funeral.
All her friends and my friends attended and we laid her to rest.

One week later

I have been taking care of Ashton and at the same time trying to sort Isabelle's thighs we wanted to keep and others to let go of.
It was hectic and I could use all the help I could get. On top of that, my business was suffering since I was busy with other things.
I don't know how Ashton and I were going to manage.

As I am still setting up my computer to do some work,  I hear a knock on the door.

I open the door and find a stern looking woman with a briefcase at the door, she sticks out her hand,

"Hello, Am Helen from social services, I would like to ask you a few questions" she says

"Please come in" I say
After we have sat down, she pulls out a file from her briefcase and says,

"According to this, you are the only surviving relative of the deceased. You are single, with a fairly stable income, in this case we consider the child's welfare. " She says

"What are you trying to say?" I ask

I didn't like what she was trying to get at. Was she implying I can't keep my nephew?

"Mr Klein, can you honestly say that you can comfortably provide for the child under your care?" She asks

"I guess I can" I reply

"Do you know how much goes into looking after a child? Will you be able to give him the best life possible? That's why we feel the child would be better of with a loving family that will provide him with the love and care he needs all around" she says

"You can't take away my nephew and give him to strangers! I am his family ! I won't give him up" I say very irritated and annoyed

"Like I said, being with his family would be ideal but we feel you don't have the capacity to care for him with everything especially financially" she explains

"I am not giving him up, I rather die
!" I say vehemently

"Then I suggest you find a solution and means to provide for him comfortably and start the process to adopt him or else the social services will be here five days from now to take him" she says

I nod and let her out and sigh dejectedly. What  am I going to do? How? I need a miracle!

Don't forget to vote and comment ❤