ELEVEN

- Juliet's POV -

The ball was the day after tomorrow. Juliet was sure that something big was going to happen as her mother kept calling her and informing her how important the ball will be and what she should wear and how she should act and BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Juliet did not give a rat's arse.

She was currently sitting at the table with the rest of her friends. Yes, friends. Juliet decided, finally, that she liked them. They were all genuine. And funny. Also loyal.

Marie was the sweetest person ever, and she couldn't stand hurting someone. She was also enamoured with Adam. But it wasn't love, Juliet thought. Because she noticed how she kept moving a little closer to Cain whenever they all sat together. She admired Adam, Juliet understood later. Not love. He was the only one who went out of his way to say something incredibly sweet to Marie.

Nyssa was in love with the boy who fought with Cain a lot; his name was Anders, and he was a Swede who was the captain of the ice hockey team at Carlton, and also boxed in his free time. Nyssa and Juliet played badminton a few times, and then raced each other in the swimming pool at Carlton.

Cain was funny, childish, and so in love with Marie, but he was a fucking idiot who kept making all the wrong moves.

Nathan was moody, but Juliet could see that he loved his friends and would do anything for them. She also noticed how he didn't like talking about their family either. She was confused about him sometimes.

Alex was quiet. Colorless. He rarely spoke. Juliet was frustrated with him when she tried to ask whether they'd come together or if she should pick him up or if it was the other way around. He simply shrugged. She finally snapped and announced that she was picking him up and they would go there together at six in the evening. He nodded briefly.

"Did you see the new girl? There's another transfer. She's from India - her name is Trisha," Marie informed everyone.

Nyssa chuckled. "I know - I saw her telling off Michelle the other day. Michelle looked so lost."

Cain laughed. "What I would give to see Michelle's face. Is Trisha hot?"

Marie shifted slightly, but still kept her smile on her face as bright as ever. "She's quite pretty."

"Oh, I can think of far prettier girls," Cain said vaguely, smiling at her. He obviously meant Marie.

But Marie dulled a little bit. "Yes. I bet you can..."

He blinked. "I didn't mean - "

"So," Juliet interrupted loudly, "are you all coming to the ball the day after tomorrow?"

They all smiled to themselves. Nyssa said, "yes. Your mother invited our parents."

Nathan said, "she called everyone with money."

Marie cleared her throat. "I wasn't invited."

Silence.

"Shit," Nathan swore, "I didn't mean it like that, Marie. I'm sor - "

"That's okay," she said a little tightly. Marie was one of the few students who was in Carlton because she studied well. She, of course, was well off. But not enough to afford Carlton. She was here on a scholarship.

Juliet casually said, "maybe one of you can take Marie as a date. Cain? Adam? Nathan?"

Nathan shrugged.

Cain brightened up and opened his mouth to -

Adam smiled. "Sure. I'll take her."

Juliet nearly ripped his head off.