reception | part 2

"I'm going to start this toast off by saying that you two have been a pain in my ass since the moment you first met," Jace expressed, a glass flute in his hand, golden champagne bubbling inside.

The guests laughed at that, but only Niall and Lynn's closest friends truly knew the extent to what he said.

"In the beginning, I never thought I would be standing here, giving a toast at your wedding, marrying the girl you supposedly despised." He paused to look at the two newly weds with a fond smile. "But back at college when I learned that you had kissed her in the hallway only a few weeks after meeting... I knew. Even if you did run away from her right after."

Niall bit his lip from breaking into a smile of his own, thinking back on the memory of him and Lynn in the hallway of the arena. He might have acted like an idiot back then, but he obviously did something right along the way if he was sitting next to the girl he loved on his wedding day.

"I also remember when you confided in me that you were in love with Lynn. Of course, we all know that love is just a chemical reaction in the brain - dopamine, serotonin, oxytocin... correct me if I'm wrong, Niall."

The guests laughed again, knowing Niall well enough to be aware of how his mind worked.

"But its much more then that," Jace continued, more serious now. "There are people we meet who remind us that sometimes logic and science can't explain the heart."

Lynn's hand found Niall's under the table and she laced her fingers with his. He looked up and caught her blue eyes looking at him. He could see everything she was feeling on her face and it made Niall's insides light up in flame. They did it, they were actually married. He almost pinched himself to make sure this wasn't all some kind of lucid dream, but Lynn's hand in his was enough of an indicator that he was very much awake.

"Congratulations for tying the knot. You may have put me and others through hell to get here, but I'm glad that all the hurt wasn't in vain." Jace held his glass of champagne up in the air. "To Lynn and Niall!"

"Cheers!" the guests responded, followed by the clinking of glasses.

After Jace took his seat once again, the wedding party and guests went back to their meal.

Grandma Nona had insisted she make her famous lasagna for all the guests that were going to attend the wedding, no matter how many that might entail. Lynn tried reasoning with her, saying that there was going to be way too many people for her to cook for. But she wasn't budging, and Lynn knew she was in a loosing battle.

Eventually, Lynn gave in saying that she could make her lasagna as long as she would allow some help.

And from the looks of it, everyone seemed to be enjoying the food. Everyone had a plate in front of them and Lynn noticed a few people request seconds. She was worried the food would run out, but she figured that was a good problem to have and she was positive Nona wouldn't mind making some more.

After a few moments later, there was a soft hum coming from the speakers on all sides of the yard. Lynn squinted through the sun that was setting behind the horizon of the lake beyond, casting out reds, yellows, and oranges against the surface of the water and sky, and saw the DJ that they hired had set everything up and was testing the mic.

"I think it's time for the first dance," he said into the microphone, looking over at Niall and Lynn once they had finished their meal. "What do you say, bride and groom?"

Niall looked over at Lynn and held his hand out for her to take. She took it gladly and stood, the two of them walking toward the wooden dance floor in the middle of the yard. The guests stopped eating to turn and look at the newly married couple get into position just as the beginning guitar cords of their song started playing through the speakers set up at every corner.