Chapter Fifty One

Never before had Lexy looked so determined as the two girls left Charms, lurking outside the doorway as Lexy finalised the plan in her mind. Sadly, whilst she looked the part, rolled up sleeves and all, she still hadn't told Aubrey what exactly she was going to do.

Eventually, as the last person packed their stuff up, Aubrey grabbed her friend's shoulder to snap her out of the pysching up trance:

"Lexy, what exactly are you doing?"

"Hold on..." Lexy muttered some words of reassurance before replying, "Okay, so you know how towards the lesson, I began to stop working, struggled to do the spell ... it was a ruse. Flitwick's a good guy, a really great guy ... if I ask him to help he will do, right?"

"Wait, I get it, hon," She slowly began to nod as the plan fully embedded in her brain, "So, you'll cry your eyes out - "

"Who said I was going to cry?"

"You cried during that film were the werewolf changes into an equally weird looking prince - "

"Firstly, his name is 'the Beast' or Adam; he is not a werewolf, it's just a curse and he found true love! He found Belle! What was I meant to do? It was a beautiful moment and you Witches just don't appreciate fantastic cinema," Lexy retorted, "If need be, I will cry although I was hoping to save it as a last resort."

"Good plan, smart," Aubrey replied, "You know, I actually have a lesson to go to so ..."

"Discuss this later with the other two ... and maybe Kenny and Angela if they refuse to move?"

Aubrey clicked her fingers as she began to leave in the opposite direction, "Read my mind, girl!"

"See? This finishing each other's sentences thing isn't hard!"

• • •

Fred and George were more than up for it, although it was admittedly hard to say no to such an excited Lexy. All throughout their lessons, the four of them planned, making sure their part was meticulously thought out so when they finally congregated together at the end, everything was perfect. Fred, George and Aubrey would go and change the schedule of detentions (by force or by persuasion, it didn't matter ... whatever had to be done) whilst Lexy got some extra one to one tutoring for an hour and a bit. The lies were thorough, the boys were ready but sadly they'd forgotten to take into account one factor: unexpected stage fright.

As the four of them waited outside the classroom, the colour seemed to vanish from Lexy's skin, red giving way to bone white. Even though she tried to hide it by jamming her hand in the pockets of her cloak, it was clear she was trembling all the way to her fingertips. Fred didn't seem to notice, making some crude joke regarding 'half-siblings' and magicians, but George and Aubrey did. 

Since getting everything out in the open, Aubrey was surprised how quickly things had recovered between her and George. This was bizarrely down to a shared fondness for Lexy, something which brought a residue prickle of jealousy but comparable to a fading ember rather than a flame. It was because of this that the two exchanged a worried look as they examined the girl.

"So, then the magician says his talent is sawing people in half, okay? Trust me, this makes sense later on -"

"Hold on, Fred," Aubrey said, raising a finger up to silence him, "Finish it later because I really do want to hear the end."

It came out way more sarcastic than intended; she was genuinely curious to hear the punchline.

"Lexy," She took a step forward, placing her hands on her friend's shoulders, "Are you alright?"