Chapter 50 Part 1

Just a little bit of drama....don't kill me lmao.

HUDSON

What goes up, must come down.

And there was no better example of this than the past week. Alexis and I were practically floating on clouds last week with the idea of having a pup and this week, everything went downhill.

I had completely forgotten that we were supposed to induct the pack warriors in training. To do that, we needed medical records, family history, behavior reports, and of course, training reports that I needed to sign off on.

Matthew was in charge of training all of them, and I was in charge of judging if they were ready to join or not. If they were, they would be part of the ceremony in a few weeks, if they weren't, they continued to train under Matthew until next year.

But on top of all the stress of the inductions, I had a meeting with The Council so I could give them the blood contract to store. The Council consisted of five humans, who were aware of our existence and made decisions for the species if we couldn't come to an agreement. They didn't have any sort of bias towards one species so all of their judgments have been fair. Now, I had to hand them the agreement I had made so that they could make sure the terms were satisfied.

I glanced at the pile of paperwork on my desk and mentally groaned. My plans of spending the evening with Alexis were slowly going down the drain. There was no way I could finish this before next week if I kept taking time off.

"Knock knock," a soft voice called from the doorway. My eyes trailed over to the figure and a tired smile formed on my face, "Hey, beautiful."

Alexis stepped inside and kicked the door shut behind her as she carried a plate of food over to me.

"I thought you could eat something since you've been locked in here for hours," she said, placing the plate on my desk and moving my papers aside.

I sighed and took her hand, waiting for her to walk around the desk and sit on my lap. When she was settled, I buried my face in the crook of her neck, feeling relaxed for the first time today.

She was dressed warmly in her thick pajamas, and her hair was tied into a cute little top-knot like it always was when she was feeling lazy.

"Why is it that when you're feeling tired, you manage to look gorgeous, while I look like someone beat me up a couple of times?" I questioned amusedly, pulling a loose curl behind her ear.

She smiled mischievously, "Not to worry, I'm totally digging the little grey hairs you've got going. They make you look distinguished."

I rolled my eyes and picked up my fork, knowing very well that I didn't have any grey hair.

As I ate my Pad Thai, Alexis started rummaging through my papers carefully, making sure she didn't mess up my system.

"You know," she said, furrowing her eyebrows as she flipped through a packet, "I can take some of this off your hands."

I shook my head and pecked her temple, "Thanks but no thanks. I don't want you stressing out because of this. It isn't good for the baby."

She shook her head, "I don't want you stressing out either. Besides, I'm not needed at the hospital for a few days. I can take of the medical reports and whatever paperwork you need done for the meeting."

I opened my mouth to protest, but she turned and gave me a stubborn glare.

"No buts," she said, pointing her finger at me.

I pushed her finger down and kissed her soft lips, "Fine. I'll give you those papers later. I still have to collect a few so I'll hand them over all at once."

She nodded and got off my lap, "Finish your food and come home. I'm getting bored of watching Boston and Gracie blush around each other."

I smiled and watched her ass sway as she walked out the door.

***

The next two days, I managed to get all the papers Alexis wanted to work on and started separating them into piles so it was easier for her to keep track.

"Hey Hudson."

I looked up and nodded at Max, "Hey man, what's up?"

He shoved his hands in his pockets and shrugged, "Nothing much. I wanted to see what you were up to. You, Boston, and Matthew seem so busy."

"You got that right," I muttered.

He sat in front of me, "I'm starting to miss the days when we were young and could get drunk whenever we wanted. No mates, just us."

I laughed, "No one got drunk except you. If the rest of us did, my dad would have beat our asses the next day during training."

"I guess, but you guys have changed after finding your mates."

"You'll find yours soon. I'm sure she's somewhere close by or even in South Africa."

He was silent, "About that. I was thinking of staying back. I love traveling, but I just need a break."

I nodded, slightly preoccupied, "I'll send someone else in your place then. Take some time off. You deserve it."

"Thanks," he muttered gruffly, "Well, I'm going to go train for a while. Blow off some steam."

Just as he reached the doorway, I placed the last piece of paper on the stack and called him back, "Would you take these to Alexis and let her know that these have to be finished in three days?"

He raised an eyebrow, "Is that enough time?"

"It should be. I believe in her."

He nodded and took the papers without another word. I stretched my arms and got back to work on the training reports.

***

ALEXIS

There was a knock on the back door so I quickly dropped the dishes and rushed to open it.

"Oh. Hi Max," I said, moving to the side to let him in. He stepped inside and looked around.

I wasn't quite sure why he was here. Hudson was in his office, and we didn't exactly know each other well.

For some reason, I got the feeling that Max didn't like me. He seemed a bit cold the few times we did talk, and the way he stared at me made me feel like I did something wrong.

"Is Hudson here?" He asked, looking around the kitchen.

I shook my head and grabbed a glass to pour him some lemonade, "He's in his office. Would you like some lemonade?"

"Sure," he mumbled, taking the glass and throwing it back like it was a shot of alcohol.

When he was done chugging, he slammed the glass back on the counter, causing me to flinch.

Was he drunk? Why was he being so aggressive? Why was he staring at me like I ran over his cat?

"I've gotta go. I need to find Hudson," he mumbled almost inaudibly.

I blinked and swallowed nervously, "Okay. I'll see you later, I guess. Can you ask Hudson to give me those papers? I would like to get started so I have enough time to finish."

Max shrugged, "Sure whatever."

I watched him saunter out of the house and slam the door behind him so the windows shook.

I frowned and pressed a hand to my nonexistent bump.

"I have a bad feeling about him, baby," I said quietly, watching Max's back disappear.

I looked down at my stomach and pursed my lips, "I hope he won't do anything stupid. I can't deal with anymore drama."

My stomach growled in response, causing me to chuckle and grab a pot to cook myself some food.

Hey loves! So what do you guys think? What is Max up to? What do you think is wrong with him? We have exactly five chapters left and the epilogue before TAE comes to a finish.

LOVE YOU ALL *MWAH*