Chapter 39

Hi, sorry it took so long to get this chapter up! I've been super busy and haven't had the time to write *cry* Hope everyone is well, enjoy xo
_____

"What?" I stiffened at his words.

"Carter is your half-brother." Vice repeated.

"I know what you said the first time, why didn't you say anything before?" My focus on my lap as I spoke.

"Vice." A deep voice called out in acknowledgement.

I zoned out almost immediately, so many questions clouding my head.

This doesn't make sense. I thought.

"Ava?" Zade called out, bringing me out of my thoughts.

"How?" I breathed, tightening my hands around Zade's.

Black slacks came into view as I stared down at my lap.

"Hi." The same voice that acknowledged Vice greeted but this time soft.

"Hi." I frowned up at him.

"I'm Carter." His face softened down at my confused one.

"Umh." I squeaked as he pulled me up off the couch and into a warm embrace.

"I didn't know I had a little sister." He said into the top of my head, his body relaxed as if letting all his worries go.

"What?" I frowned into his chest.

"What do you mean what?" He chuckled making my head vibrate against his chest.

"B-but." My bottom lip trembled as my heart squeezed around itself.

"Hey, I'm sorry." He finally let me go and held me at arms length.

I pulled away from the stranger and stepped back against the couch, unconsciously slipping my hand in Zade's as I stared at Carter, taking in his features.

"How old are you?" My eyes watered.

"I'm 22." He replied, reaching out to rub my arm in a comforting manner.

"Can you explain to me how we're siblings?" I asked, trying to look for a resemblance between us.

Tattoos covered the exposed skin I could see, his hands were covered in different patterns of black ink and so was his neck. His hair jet-black, his facial features were prominent but nothing like mine. High cheekbones with a slight hollow to them, his jaw angular with a vertical dent on his chin, his skin a slight tan. His eye's a warm honey color like mine, that's the only resemblance we had. Our eye color, like Dads.

Carter frowned at me, deep in thought.

The look on everyone's faces were in a shock kind; most of them stared at him like he grew another head.

I wonder why? I thought.

"We'll take everyone into the dining room, lunch should be ready by the time you finish." Fane tried ushering the families out.

"See you in the-" Vice started off.

"No, you two are staying." I glared directly at Fane and Vice.

They both stared at me, looking like deer's caught in headlights but nodded and stayed put as the room cleared out.

"Who are you?" Carter demanded, stepping up to Zade.

"Doesn't matter who I am, the question is who are you!" Zade used the same tone as Carter, stepping forward as well.