f o r t y s i x

Zara sleeps peacefully on the bed, taking up only a small fraction of the large space. I can feel Micah's stare on me, instead of Zara. I look towards him, tilting my head, "what do you want?"

"Your parents really don't see Zara?"

"No," I scoff, "she's a tarnish on their wonderful reputation. I wonder how badly they were hurt when everyone found out they don't talk to their daughter."

Micah just stares at me, I can see regret on his face. He knows all this, it's his fault. But I can't find it in myself the blame the man. He took away his freedom just so he could keep us safe. What more could I ask for?

I sigh, turning back to Zara. "We need to pick up some better parenting standards. It seems both of ours were pretty bad. Don't you think?"

"Rosalie."

"A father that fakes his own death? A mother who let her new husband abuse her son? And parents who our religion above their own child? I find that more of a sin than the reason they don't talk to me."

Micah sighs, leaning forward and making the couch creak. I look back at him, "I guess traits like that don't run in the family. You did what you had to do- to be for such a long time."

"I knew I could trust my baby girl in the hands of the most amazing woman I've ever met."

I smile, shutting my eyes. Looking back up at Micah I sigh. "I wasn't an amazing woman back then- really I'm still not."

"You are."

"No matter how much I love her," I glance at her, "there's always going to be a part of me that says, what if I wasn't pregnant at nineteen? What amazing things I could have done with my life?"

"You would have done amazing things," Micah brushes my hair behind my ear. "I took it away from you."

"You gave me one of the most amazing kid in the world."

"I don't think I had to do with that part," Micah looks at her. "If she took after me she'd be a pretty shit kid."

I laugh, leaning against his shoulder. "You know, maybe one day we can get past all this and be a family."

Micah kisses my forehead, sighing. Smiling I watch Zara, her small lips part taking in deep breathes of air. I take in Micah's scent, I take in everything about him and all the reasons I can't help but fall for him.

"Tomorrow will be so hectic for you," I whisper. "Grace and Elliot will be down."

♔♔♔

"Wewiot!" Zara's eyes widen, seeing who's at the door. I smile watching her. "Wunty!!"

"My precious," Grace cradles Zara's head.

"She's not a fucking magical ring you twat," Elliot squeezes past her, hugging Zara and then me. I smile, sitting back on the edge of the bed, "you guys really didn't need to come around."

"Yes we did," Elliot sits on the couch. Grace plonks down next to him, crossing her arms. "So fill us in on everything, I saw Micah outside."

"There's nothing to say."

"I'm surprised the dick didn't run like last time."

"Grace.. things have changed. It wasn't his choice.. he didn't want to leave. He did it to protect us."

"Bullshit."