Chapter 22 | Wouldn't You Want Revenge?

"You don't love someone because they're perfect, you love them in spite of the fact that they're not." — My Sister's Keeper

"Oh my god, mom, it's such a stupid idea," I groan in displeasure.

"Oh my god, Sawyer, it's not a stupid idea," My mom mimics me.

"Yeah, it actually is," I argue. "I hate Tom and Tom hates me, and I just don't really see that changing anytime soon, so you might as well just accept it," I suggest with a sigh.

"Your dad does not hate you, Sawyer, and we are doing this whether or not you want to. Be sure to call Graham sometime today and make sure he's free tonight," She adds.

Just a couple of minutes ago, when I came downstairs for breakfast, my mother told me that tonight we're going to have that stupid family dinner thing that she mentioned a few days back. We were supposed to do it on Tuesday, but that was the day after the stabbing incident occurred, and my mother thought that it would be best to rain check it.

Today is Saturday, and I'm still not in jail—obviously—which is amazing and so unexpected, so she decided that we'd do the dinner tonight. I really don't want to go, you know, because I hate Tom, but she's forcing me. To make matters worse, she's making me invite Graham.

Don't get me wrong, I love being around Graham, and I know that him being there will make it slightly more bearable, but I just really don't want to subject him to my father. I already know what's going to happen—he (Tom) is going to try his very best to embarrass me in front of Graham, and he'll most likely make a bunch of rude, snide remarks about me.

My mother says that the only reason that she's insisting that I invite Graham though is so that she can actually get to know him. I tried, relentlessly, I might add, to convince her that since Graham and I haven't been dating all that long, a Meet the Parents Dinner thing was totally unnecessary and unwarranted. She didn't agree with me on that though. So, I have to invite him. Graham has to babysit his brother a lot though, because I guess Tucker has a time-consuming job, so if I'm lucky, he'll have to babysit Jackson tonight.

Anyway though, my mom told me that we're going to some Italian place—not Alessandra's (which is where Graham took me on our first date) because it's so expensive there— but to some place here in Andover called La Bella Luna. I wanted to go to a Mexican place though, just because I really, really love Mexican food, but apparently, Tom doesn't like Mexican food, which is stupid, because how can you not like Mexican food? But to each its own, I guess. 

"Okay," I sigh, giving in because I know that I won't win this. "I'll call him and see if he's busy," I assure her, taking a sip of my juice.

"Thanks," She replies with a relieved smile. "Oh, I almost forgot—you have to take your medicine," My mom reminds me, going over to the cabinet where she keeps my meds.

"You do realize that I'm seventeen years old, yes? I'm totally capable of taking my meds without adult supervision," I mutter as she walks over to me, handing me one of my pills.

"I know how old you are," She tells me, putting the cap back on the orange pill bottle. "I seem to recall that just about a month ago though, you overdosed on your medication."

"On accident," I remind her, putting the pill in my mouth and taking a large gulp of juice, swallowing it.

"I know that, Sawyer," My mother sighs. "I just don't want there to be any more accidents. Tongue out."

"You're very dramatic for no literal reason, you know," I mumble, sticking my tongue out to prove to her that I actually swallowed the pill.