Part 69: At Last

Well, where to start. Ironically I have no words. This is the last chapter of Apartment No.4 and what a journey it has been! Spending so many hours writing and thinking, first with high school then uni to contend with.

I never expected to receive so much support and love from you all and I can honestly say that it makes me so happy to read your comments and see your messages that you send me. I wanted to write this book for you but also for myself. This book has essentially been my opening to the writing world and to be met with so much support on my first book makes me almost teary.

Thank you, everyone, for all you have given me, I cannot express my happiness in words.

Whilst this is the last chapter there will be an epilogue proceeding so keep an eye out.

THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE TO SEND ME QUESTIONS BEFORE THE Q&A CHAPTER THAT WILL BE FOLLOWING THE EPILOGUE. PM ME OR WRITE IT ON MY MESSAGE BOARD IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO PM ME!

So much love! Enjoy

I tried to hold myself together but that proved incredibly difficult when the love of your life and the strongest person you know is struggling to keep himself together.

"I can't lose her," he repeated over and over through each sob into my now damp shoulder as he held me tightly.

"I know, I know," I held him tightly against me and caught the eye of the surgeon looking sullen and incredibly sorrowful.

"There has to be something we can do," I stated, my voice much stronger than I thought it would be.

"We can close her up and hope that she gets a transplant within 24 hours though the list for a kidney transplant is longer than my life," he said quietly as Mason's sobs became slightly quieter.

He pulled away from me, wiping his eyes forcefully and moving slowly towards the surgeon.

"She can have one of mine, I don't care, cut me open and give it to her,"

"Whilst that is something we would normally inquire about I'm afraid that wouldn't be possible," he reasoned, maintaining his calm attitude.

"Why the hell not? We're siblings!" He raised his voice again causing me to shush him and rub between his shoulders.

"Your blood types don't match, you're B negative while she's A positive the risk of her body rejecting the kidney is far too high."

Mason was still shaking in anger and the onslaught of emotions.

I snapped my head up to face the surgeon.

"She can have mine," I said, swallowing hard and ignoring the stare that Mason was shooting my way.

"I'm O negative, I'm a universal donor." Huh, I guess I had been paying attention to Mason.

"Ashley, you don't have to do that," Mason spluttered slightly, wiping his nose with his sleeve. He was just saying it to be polite as I could tell from the hopeful smile that grew on his face.

I nodded and turned to the surgeon.

"We can stabilise Claire and get the transfer done if we act quickly," pressed the surgeon, looking between us.

"Take me to where I need to be," I said, taking Mason's hand gently and pulling him to follow the surgeon.

I was lying on a hospital bed again, my stomach doing flip-flops while Mason paced in front of me.

"Ashley, you don't have to do this," he muttered over and over again which I contradicted over and over again.

"Mason, the surgeon himself said that the waiting list for an organ transplant is longer than his life, and he ain't that young. I'm the only hope for Claire to survive right now. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I just stood by and did nothing."