31

Zenia's POV

"I feel like such a charity case," I outed to Ashley as we stood in front of my brand new Lexus Bold car EJ had purchased for me the day before.

"Come on Zenia, he's only looking out for you. You live on the other side of town now and it's a longer journey to the boutique. Girl, I wish Alex would buy me a car."

"I know that. It's all good, but I'm losing my independence. I don't want him to give me everything."

"Well you've already rejected his ring, now you're going to reject his car too?
Zenia, it was a nice gesture and he's trying to do right by you. He's trying to show you that he cares and he loves you. Come on, what kind of guy would he be if he didn't buy his girlfriend anything?"

Ashley had a point, but it still wasn't helping my feelings. I felt pathetic.

"I don't want him to hand me everything that I need. I was already saving up for a car. And did you know that the engagement ring cost a million dollars?"

Ashley's eyes popped. "A million dollars?"

"Yes. For a non-living thing. Do you how many people that money could feed?"

"Zen, the Hollens are billionaires and, with all fairness, they do donate millions to charities every year. Just last year, at one of Evan's event, he raised ten million for cancer centers and modern hospital equipment."

"I've heard." I shook it off as we went back inside.

The conversation shifted to Madison's mom's death.

"She must really be hurting. I wish she could've fit in with us, but she's a drama queen," Ashley said.

"A total drama queen. Remember that time at the boutique when she called your dress a rag?"

"I wanted to slap the white off her face!"

We laughed aloud.

"And that time when she told EJ I had an abortion."

"Madison is crazy."

We headed into the kitchen and made smoothies. Afterwards, we watched television and gave each other pedicures. Then we designed a dress that was inspired by Bliss. 

At 5:30 p.m., EJ arrived. Ashley and I were sitting on lounge chairs by the pool, enjoying the evening sunshine.

"Hey baby," he greeted me with a kiss on my forehead.

"Hi sweetheart, how was work?"

"Evan being a constant pain in my ass as always. Apart from that, work was fine... Hey Ash."

"Hi EJ."

They shook hands before EJ walked away.

"Zenia, I'm so jealous of you right now. I wish Alex would let me move in with him and give me a ring and a car."

"Please don't bug him about it. Everyone is different and he'll do it in his own time."

"Sure. I'm not going to ask him for anything."

Ashley lied. That night, when Alex came to get her, she immediately began nagging him about an engagement ring. I heard the conversation between them as they got into his car before driving away.

Two days later, Ashley showed back up at my and EJ's house with red, crying eyes and a slumped posture. She was a wreck.

"I told you not to do that Ashley!" I semi shouted at her. She was lying down in my bed, crying her eyes out, again, as she explained why she asked Alex for a ring.

"I just wanted to know if our love was real. He told me that he needed space because I'm wanting too much too quickly," she cried.

I heaved a sigh of frustration as I sat down next to her, rubbing her back to give some comfort. "It's going to be okay. Alex must be thinking about things, and I believe EJ will advise him to pop the question."

She picked herself up. "Do you believe that?"

"Yes, I do."

"Good."

I pulled her out of the bed and ushered her into the kitchen where we made our signature smoothies and ate junk.

After an hour, Jasmine arrived with Jevan in her arms.

"Zena!" he squealed and made attempts to break free from his mother's hands.

I quickly took him and wrapped him in mine. "How's aunty's big boy?" 

He smiled his tiny lips and hid his face in my neck.

"He's so cute. I love him," Ashley said as she played with his hands. 

Jevan drew all the attention to him until Jasmine spoke up. "Zen, I've been at the penthouse to talk to our mother. When I got inside, I couldn't locate her or any of her belongings."

"Good riddance," I muttered lowly.

"Goor-dance," Jevan repeated.

"Okay, what's going on?" Jasmine asked. A frown and serious look appeared on her face.

I hadn't yet told her about the conversation I overheard between Mom and Martin and what mom had said to me.

"Ashley, can you take Jevan and give my sister and I some privacy?" I asked her kindly.

"Sure." She took Jevan and walked into the other room.

I told Jasmine everything that transpired between Mom and her father because, according to Mom, Martin's brother was my father.

"How could she do something so terrible? After everything I've done and sacrifice for her, she had been getting three thousand dollars every month from Dad for us?"

I nodded my head yes. "She said she was using the money to take care of us."

"Come on Zenia, you know that's bullshit! Mom was always broke and we barely made it. There were times we came home from school and we had nothing to eat. We went to bed hungry, woke up hungry and went to school the next day hungry!"

"Jasmine, please don't send up your blood pressure. You're pregnant."

She heaved a sigh, raked her fingers through her hair and sat down on a stool in the kitchen. "I can't believe her. I hate her!"

I jumped with fright as she slammed her hands on the island top.

"It's okay, Jasmine. We still pulled through everything, and look at us today, we've made it. You have a wonderful husband and a darling son, and another little darling on the way.

"I've opened my boutique and I'm dating a wonderful guy, who also happens to be your husband's brother."

We heartily laughed.

"You're right. We're in a much better place and doing better things, but I think we should find Martin and apologize to him and make amends."

"ZENIA!" We heard Ashley's voice ringing from the other room.

Jasmine and I made a beeline for the other room and stopped short when we saw Madison standing there with three suitcases and mascara running down her face.

"Is EJ here?" she asked with a broken voice.

I shook my head no. "He's not here," my voice followed, "but why you here?"

"I've come to ask EJ if I can stay here for a while," she answered.

"WHAT?!" Jasmine, Ashley and I said in unison.

My entire world flipped upside-down and inside-out at the same time.

______________________

A/N

Will EJ allow Madison to stay with them for "a while"?

Find out in the next chap..... 🙇