f o r t y s e v e n

Micah zips her pink adidas jacket to her chin, keeping her warm. She giggles, scrunching her face holding close to Micah. He gently kisses the tip of her nose, making her head tip back in laughter - nearly her whole body, if his arm wasn't around her.

Snowflakes gently fall from the sky, making the grass appear white. The bottom of Micah's coat is in the sand, soaking it. Though, he doesn't mind. Zara shivers, pulling her body into his looking for some kind of warmth.

I look at the man in the distance. The entire times his been starring- I thought at first not to worry.. but now I can't help it. Micah brushes snow off Zara's nose and beanie, making her laugh. Zara tries to brush the snow off Micah's shoulders and hair.

"I love you."

"Micah," I call looking away from the man in a suit up ahead. He glances at me, questioningly. I bend down to him and Zara, smiling at her. "There's a man over around the bushes."

Micah twirls Zara, giving him an excuse to turn and look at the man. "I don't want you to be scared," he glances at me pulling his keys out his pocket putting them in my hand, "lock the door and once your in, sit with her at the back."

"Micah," I grab Zara's hand, pulling her into my body, "what's wrong?"

"If you listen to me," he kisses Zara's nose, "nothing. I promise."

He stands up, helping me along. I look away, "should I call Alessio?"

"Not yet," Micah pulls me close for a moment, kissing my forehead. "Just get in the car, you'll be fine."

Zara hugs me, closing her eyes. I'm glad she does this. Even in this cold I now feel sweaty and hot. I decide not to turn back and just head to Micah's car. I get in, locking the door behind me. "Mummy, cowd."

"Cold?" I ask brushing her hair back. She nods pulling herself into my body. I sigh pulling my coat around her. "Daddy said everything will be okay.. I believe him."

I can't loose her. I hold her tightly, maybe I'm afraid that if I let go, she'll disappear. Zara wiggles around trying to find a comfortable position on my lap but she can't seem to.

"Mummy," she groans stretching her legs out.

"I'm sorry baby," I whisper. "I thought you were cold."

She sighs, putting her hands in her lap. I smile kissing the top of her head. Someone knocks at the window, I jump closing my eyes only to realise it's Micah. I unlock the door.

"Put her in, we have to go."

"What?"

"Rose," he leans over, moving Zara into the car seat. "We need to go."

♔♔♔

Micah's hands are in is pockets, he kicks some rubble starring into the distance. Zara sleeps in her car seat, the door open - in case she wakes up. Micah every so often checks on her, checking despite all the noise of passing cars and trucks she's still asleep.

Micah looks down at the water, sitting on the hood of his car. I stay back, I don't want to be near this man. I don't want to be on the run. My life was peaceful again. I became me, again.

Micah sits next to me, on the hood of his car. I don't know how we got pulled back into this mess, his mess. Half away across the country just so he could keep us safe.