xxix. Right or Easy?

—✧—✧—✧—✧—

—✧—✧—✧—✧—

TWENTY-NINE RIGHT OR EASY?

("SHE WON'T REBEL...")

—✧—✧—✧—✧—

       SOMETIMES, IT FEELS as though the world is on a stand-still. Sometimes, Margo looks around at the world she's engulfed by and she feels as if nothing monumental is truly happening, as if all of the clocks have stopped. Sometimes, she'll be outside in the school grounds with her boyfriend and his head will be resting in her lap, or she'll be sitting on his legs, her arms wrapped around him, and she'll be surprised by the normal pace the watch on her wrist ticks. It's strange to Margo, how sometimes the world is so at peace that it feels as if time is no longer existent.

       Like right now. She's nearing her final year of school, and everything feels like it's sped up — but then there are moments of clarity, beautiful little afternoons that seem to never end, where she'll be outside enjoying the limited sunshine they actually receive, and she'll be dreaming of the life she's about to step into. A life where she doesn't have to worry about the girls in her dorm seeing the mark on her arm, or refuse to wear short sleeves, because of the intricate Dark Mark inked into her skin, covering freckles.

       She cannot wait to finish school. She's been speaking to the Dark Lord for the past six months, suggesting ways for her to be meaningful to the cause. And even without all of that, she cannot wait, on the first morning of freedom, to leave her parents behind and live elsewhere with her boyfriend. She cannot wait to get rid of her parents. Soon, she won't have parents anymore to think about, to skirt around their comments like, 'Honey, there's a heatwave. Maybe take off your cardigan...'

       They don't get it. They don't understand the impact she's going to make in this world. One day — and she hopes it will be soon — the name Margo Valen will not just be of the Slytherin Quidditch captain, or the current head girl. Margo Valen will be a woman of great power, the sort that people use in examples, discussing the amazing things she's done... Maybe she won't be Margo Valen, but rather, have a different surname. That is, if she can figure out why her boyfriend's been acting off recently...

       But here she is, walking through the corridors after her last exam. At the start of the day, when she sat to eat breakfast with her best friend, her boyfriend had walked up to them, about to eat with them like he often does, but instead, he kissed her cheek and said, "I need to speak to you about something. Four o'clock, the old Transfiguration classroom?"

       And she had nodded. As he walked away, her best friend had frowned.

       "Reg is acting off," said Atticus.

       "You always think that," said Margo.

       So off she walks, back to the Transfiguration classroom where Regulus used to tutor her in, back before she got surprisingly good at it, halfway through her sixth year. The hallways are empty, and she's grateful that that idiotic suck-up Rita Skeeter was the year above and no longer attends, because for fuck's sakes, it was a miracle Margo went that long with her believing they were the best of friends, practically sisters. They were not. Skeeter just suggested the idea of finding an Animagus, when Margo complained about wanting to hear the other team's tactics to Atticus (Skeeter was eavesdropping) and since Margo thought the idea was actually a smart one, Skeeter fell under the impression that they were as thick as thieves... They were not.