CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX.

→ CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX; VENGEANCE.  

( trigger warnings - mentions of sexual abuse, father hughes etc. )

The seven deadly sins were swimming around the room. Every person owning and wearing at least one of them with self-importance. Tension was dense in the air, along with the smoke from uncountable cigarettes and cigars that people were puffing on, the smell of champagne was noticeable and fake smiles had been imprinted onto guests faces. Tommy was pointlessly walking around the large and extravagant room, giving each guest his undivided attention and making sure that he came across as the respectable guy.

Hannah almost scoffed at Tommy's bogus performance but a part of her was also impressed. No matter the situation or who he was around, Tommy always had the upper-hand and was able to get what he desired - with or without viciousness. It showed the change in Tommy over the years. One lunch time, when only Sister Margaret and Hannah were available to sit down at the dinner table, Sister Margaret had told Hannah about Thomas Shelby. As she had been in Small Heath for many years, Sister Margaret had watched the sweet boy grow up into a murderous villain, full of brutality and rage but also a man with a passion to defend his family and those closest to him.

The War had ruined many people, Hannah had only been young when it had first kicked off, but she had heard stories about men coming back from France, or wherever they had been posted, as completely different people. Hannah's Auntie, one of the few family members that Hannah could sit in a room with and a fellow nurse in London, had gone over to France to help with the incapacitated soldiers and had also come back a different woman. Hannah's father referred to the nurses in France as the forgotten heroes.

Tommy Shelby, and the other Shelby brothers, reflected the pain and misery that had occurred in the trenches and tunnels. Suffering was evident, although they did their best to keep it hidden, along with survivor's guilt. Hannah had seen it many times before when she was doing her training, even years later men were suffering from the effects of The Great War.

Michael reflected the corrupt power of the church.

For as long as Hannah could remember, people had speculated about the church and what went on once the prayers had finished and the people had left. Most people thought nothing of it; they could trust the church. Hannah know knew the truth and saw what pain it caused to those blameless children who were frightened and alone without their parents and family around them, forced into an unknown place and putting their trust in strangers who abused that.

As soon as Father Hughes had walked back into the room, Hannah felt her stomach tighten and her breath become quicker. It was so hard for her to not rush over and grab him by the clothes, hurt him and scream in his face for the wretchedness that he had caused Michael. What good would it do? Michael wanted to deal with it himself, his own way and on his own terms. Whatever Hannah was thinking, or planning to do, would have to wait until the perfect moment. There was no denying the fact that she was going to have it out with him and make him know that all his immoralities would one day be uncovered to the world and that he would lose everything that he had worked for.

Hannah didn't even have time to consider what she was going to say to Father Hughes, within seconds he was walking over to her with a 'friendly' smile on his face that had Hannah clenching her fist as she thought happy thoughts. Causing a scene in the middle of the service was disrespectful to Grace's memory so Hannah mirrored Father Hughes smiled and nodded towards the doorway where the argument that was about to occur would remain hidden from the guests.

"I'm glad that I have the chance to speak to you on your own," Father Hughes started as the two of them walked down the long hallway and towards the office where Michael had told Hannah about the abuse he had suffered at the hands of Father Hughes.