xxxii. S.O.S.

—✧—✧—✧—✧—

—✧—✧—✧—✧—

THIRTY-TWO S.O.S.

—✧—✧—✧—✧—

       THE SCHOOL HAS GROWN quiet since the departure of Professor Umbridge. The amount of jinxes and charms created to aggravate the old Defence teacher have deceased, and in the wake of the news from the Ministry, that Voldemort has truly returned, the school is quiet, still in a state of shock from the recent news — well, Flo thinks this, but to be fair, when does she ever show her face around school anyway?

       This is a judgement she's taken in whilst she's walked to the lessons, basically the only time where she interacts with the rest of the school (apart from Quidditch, she means.) She isn't the biggest people person, and when your older brother is as much of an arsehole as hers is, you can't blame her from shying away from the rest of the world, jumping into lands within novels, marvellous tales about a man trying to create human life, or even a man that sells his soul to remain eternally beautiful. The only reason she's gotten this far in school is because she spends her time hidden in the library — and no one dares mess with a Montague, so she tends to get areas all to herself, to study for her lessons and read muggle books that her parents wouldn't approve of.

       But, here she stands in the girl's bathroom, the massive window above the sinks casting a golden glow around the room. It's a Sunday, and since exams are over and lessons are starting to wind down for the summer holidays, she isn't stressing about completing her Potions homework. Instead, she's taking her time, washing her hands and planning to spend the afternoon in the library again. Maybe she'll read a new book today. She might even take it outside and read out there, bask in the small amount of sunshine they actually get in the summertime. Hm.

       The door into the bathroom opens, being swung with such force that it hits the wall with a loud bang. Flo turns around, to find Pansy Parkinson, the girl from the year below, rush into the bathroom. Parkinson skids to a halt upon spotting Flo, who raises an eyebrow.

       "I'm just leaving, if you want privacy..."

       "That's nice of you," says Parkinson, in a way that indicates she couldn't care less. Her head is tilted upwards a little bit, as if she's trying to be the bigger person out of the two. Flo frowns. She doesn't think Parkinson likes her.

       And then, just as the door into the bathroom swings back shut, she sees Parkinson's bottom lip tremble, and she bursts into tears.

       Here is the thing: Flo isn't good with comforting people. But, she knows a couple of things about human decency (she doesn't always practice it, though — have you seen her brother?) so she steps closer, wondering whether or not she should offer to give her a hug, or something.

       Flo begins to ask if Parkinson is all right, but she stops herself, thinking in her head, well obviously she isn't 'all right,' you idiot, she's crying. She opens her mouth to ask her what's wrong instead, but Parkinson gives her a cold look, having heard Flo ask, "Are you all right?"