Chapter 58

"Where's Ashleigh?" Fawn demanded as she stormed through the front door of her home. She stopped dead when she saw Mama and Jules sitting in the living room with everyone else, grave looks on their faces. "What's . . . what's going on?"

"Welcome home, Fawn," Mama said calmly. "We were just wondering the same thing."

"We've just received some disturbing news from Noxford and Leah," Jules said. "Apparently there's a Primitive One in town."

"A what?" Fawn said.

"A Primitive One is known as one of the first dead walkers -- ever," Freya said. "Very old and very powerful."

"But why would one of the first dead walkers in the world be here in Sancova?" said Leah, who was rubbing Nox's back as he leaned forward in his seat.

"Is he okay?" Fawn asked, nodding toward Nox.

"He was almost killed by the Primitive dead walker," Leah said. "We were both really lucky to have gotten away."

"As if dealing with normal dead walkers weren't enough," Freya said, massaging her forehead with a single finger.

"What do we do if we find him?" Monica asked. "Not like we could kill him with silver."

"Our magic is less effective against Primitive Ones, too," Freya added.

"We bury him," came Vivienne's quiet voice. She sat at one end of her sofa, her eyes on the setting sun outside. "During the Dark Days when necromancy was first discovered, witches would bind the dead with silver and bury them alive."

All eyes were on Vivienne.

"It would seem that is our only option," Jules said. "Only the legendary Bone Dagger can kill a Primitive One. If it exists."

"Will they really be buried alive for all of eternity?" Leah asked. "That sounds so cruel. Even for the undead . . ."

"It's thinking like that that'll get you killed," Vivienne muttered. "The dead doesn't deserve your sympathy. They're heartless monsters."

"As much as I hate to agree with her, she's right, Leah," Freya said. "The dead won't hesitate to kill you. That leaves no room for sympathy."

"I know, I know," Leah said. "It's just . . ." She sighed. "Nothing."

Nox finally looked up.

"We have our plan. Let's get going," he muttered.

"Of course just binding a Primitive One with silver won't be that easy," Freya said.

"There's eight of us," Nox persisted. "We can take him!"

"Fawn and I will not be accompanying," Mama said. "I need some time alone with my daughter."

"The six of us will be more than enough," Jules said. "Have faith in your abilities. I do. Or I would not have brought you all here with me."

"I hope we find Ashleigh, too," Leah said. "I'm really worried."

"Ashleigh is a stronger witch than you all may think," Jules said. "We'll find her. I'm sure of it. Let's head out."

After the small group of witches departed Mama said "Fawn, I'm so sorry I've been so busy lately." She stood and made her way over to Fawn. "I've taught you next to nothing about witches and our natural enemies."

"I've been picking up bits and pieces," Fawn replied.

"I wouldn't be surprised in the least if you're already doing advanced magic."