Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

"I'm not wearing that."

"Why not? You said you didn't have anything cute to wear, I'm just trying to help."

"It looks like something a stripper would wear."

"A really classy stripper."  

"No."

Vanessa crossed her arms and sighed, "Well fine, go ahead and go to the official Trinity University end-of-summer party in a boring gray sweater and knee socks." She snorted, "No wonder you don't have a boyfriend."

I sat on her bed as she turned and began to do her mascara in the mirror, I made a noise of protest to prove her comment was unnecessary, despite it being the sour truth. "I'm not going to this stupid party for a boyfriend I'm going because you're my only friend here and I agreed to be your emotional support."

"Emotional support huh? You sure you didn't agree just because we both know Ezra is going to be wasted on expensive alcohol and -oh my god what if someone spikes it?" She giggled, "The shit he'd do would ruin his reputation for the rest of his life."

The thought of his reputation being ruined, and it not being entirely my fault, did amuse me, but it was also very unlikely.

"So long as he doesn't speak to me tonight, I don't care what he does."

I watched her but a deep shade of red on her lips and pout, "Part of me feels you and him running into each other is inevitable."

I narrowed, "What do you mean?"

She did an innocent shrug and grabbed her camera, "It just seems like you two attract each other. You always seem to get caught up in some sort of fight or drama."

"He started it!"

"And you continued!"

"What was I supposed to do, let him walk all over me?"

"Normally I'd say no, but he's a Scott, so yeah, that's exactly what you should've done."

I stood, "Whatever, let's just go before I decide to leave you to your shameless sleuthing alone."

Vanessa made a noise that sounded amused, but she didn't press the conversation any further. We exited the dorm building and made our way to the party.

No, I never intended to go to any college party in my life. I always found the idea of getting drunk off your ass and possibly drugged and sexually assaulted without consent to be unappealing. Still, I told myself so long as I don't drink anything, talk to anyone shady -which is everyone in this God-forsaken place- and stick by Vanessa like super-glue, nothing should go wrong.

Also dodging Ezra would be smart.

Besides, I owe Vanessa for being the only rational person here at Trinity, and for seeing me before the amount of money in my bank account.

She's genuine, and I don't want to lose someone like that.

We followed a group of students into the party. We weren't even in the building yet and the music was already pumping through my body as it was up so loud I'm not sure how anyone could even hear themselves think in there.

"You sure you don't want to skip and just order pizza?" I asked Vanessa, as she was already taking pictures of the lights protruding from the windows.

"Stop being such a child, Olivia. We've got the whole night ahead of us!"

A whole night of potential disaster, sure.

The moment we walked into the building my heart fell to the floor. I don't go to parties, it was never something I would even consider doing. And yet, here I am, with not hundreds, but thousands of students dancing, drinking, laughing, kissing, and some even getting more intimate than that right against the walls.