Chapter 26: Strange Compliments

"Um, is it okay if I go look for Reg?" I asked Sirius, hesitantly.

All he did was nod, adding a soft smile in reassurance. "I'll meet with you later,"

I muttered a small thanks under my breath as we entered the decorated Great Hall, a cold gust of wind pricking the hairs on my arms.

I spotted Severus by the tables lined with food and other refreshments, looking quite depressed, before I tapped him on the shoulder.

"Why so sad?"

He sighed. "It's nothing. . ."

"It's something." I smiled a little, as I followed his eyes as they averted into the crowd.

They landed on a familiar redhead, her emerald wear matching with everything.

"Oh. It's Lily?" He nodded, silent.

"I should get over it, but I don't think I ever can, Liv. If you're looking for me, I'll be sulking in a corner somewhere with my Gillywater." He mumbled, though smiled softly at me, before he left.

I shook my head, wandering off and trying to find Regulus, seeing him with an auburn haired girl.

"Ah, I found you!" I told Regulus, smiling to the girl. "Hi, I'm Olivia."

She held her hand out, shaking mine. "I'm Blaire, nice to meet you. Y'know, during our 'study sessions', Reggie tends to talk about a girl called Lia or Liv like you're his older sister or somethingㅡ"

"Blaire!" Regulus mumbled, obviously embarrassed.

"Aww! You really do that Reg?" He nodded slightly, groaning.

"I know you asked me here, but don't you think it'll be better to take Blaire instead?" I leaned in, whispering.

He nodded, "I guess so. . . But I have to ask her first,"

"Then ask her!" I pushed him gently towards Blaire, seeing his nervous smile, before turning back around.

I didn't know what to do next.

Just staring off somewhere as I watched Lily and James laugh with one another, their past arguments behind them. I spotted Remus and Jennifer, doing such weird dances with each other I couldn't help but laugh myself.

I even saw Peter, smiling widely with Mary as they walked next to each other, both enjoying each others quiet company.

And Sirius. . . He was near the end of the hall, grinning fondly at the scenes in front of him.

I wanted to walk up to him, asking him to dance or whatever, wondering if it was the best choice.

I haven't been to many of these Christmas parties, especially if they were held by Slughorn.

A slight poke on my shoulder interupted my distorted thoughts, before I looked up, meeting the eyes of Alex.

As expected, his dirty blond hair was a slightly unruly, but he still looked curt as ever in his dress robes.

"Hey," I said softly, sitting down in the nearest chair and laying my chin in the palm of my hand. "What has my dear cousin been up to?"

"Nothing really. I've been with Kat, but decided to let her spend time with some friends. But, what have you been up to, Olivia?"

I shook my head, blowing hair from my mouth. "I just. . . I don't know. I just don't want to bother Sirius?"

He raised an eyebrow. "Bother him? You'll be doing him a favor! He looks so depressed." He pointed.

I looked, "No he doesn't. He's smiling,"

"In your eyes. I thought you two had this. . . Thing? But really, you and Sirius have been connected by the hip lately." He smiled gently.

"We've really been that close?"

He nodded in confirmation, before turning his head. "And also, be careful, I heard someone spiked the punch with firewhiskey or something." He rolled his eyes, his signature sassy personality dawning over him.

I nodded, laughing.

"I bet it was James."

"To be honest, me too." He then laughed, before saluting in goodbye and retreating from his spit next to me.

After a few absurd moments of thinking, I gained up the courage, ignoring the nervous knot in my stomach, and standing up.

I pushed part the other students, standing on my tipㅡtoes to get a hood glance at Sirius.

Finally making it to his isolated seat, I stood over him slightly, feeling tall for once.

"Oh, hey, Lia!" He smiled, and I knitted my eyebrows together.

"Hey, um. . . I was wondering if maybe you wanted to dance or do something other than this?"

"Actually, I wanted to take you somewhere." He stood up, offering his hand to me, before I stared at it and took it.

He sneaked us out of the Great Hall, walking through the quiet corridors, apart from a few snogging couples.

The ruite seemed familiar, like always.

"What happened with my brother?" He asked.

"I decided to let him go off on jus own with this girl he likes. It's adorable, honestly." I grinned at his confusion.

"So you're telling me," A smirk appeared on his face. "That my 'perfect' little brother likes a girl?"

I nodded. "Exactly what I'm saying. He was a blushing messㅡ Sirius, are you serious?"

I stopped mid sentence to look at our surroundings, realizing we were in the Astronomy Tower, once again.

"It's the sky's most beautiful time, at night. I just wanted you to see it, sorry." He smiled sheepishly, walking towards an open window and peaking over the edge.

I went with him, staring up at the starㅡfilled sky. "You're right, actually. It is beautiful. . ."

"Like you." He murmured softly.

"Iㅡ" I stuttered over my words, staring at him. "TㅡThanks, I gㅡguess."

I was lost at words.

He nodded, just looked at the stars, one eye closed as he observed a few bright ones.

"You see right there? That's Sirius, the dog constellation." He picked up my hand, pointing to a few bright stars, all leading to one another.

"It's. . . Well, you."

__________________________

Damn you don't know how much I missed this book :')