Part 14

Characters: reader, Kurt (Steve), Grant (OC), Ted (OC), & a surprise guest. ;)

Summary: Almost three years have passed since that unforgettable night you spent with a mysterious man in a snowy cabin. When Steve unexpectedly walks back into your small town, a lot has changed for you both. How will your time apart and Steve's uncertain present affect the possibility of a future together? [Canon, events take place shortly after CACW]

Warnings: Mentions of abuse and violence against women, mild swearing. Bit of fluff there. Oof. This is intense, you guys.

Word Count: 3.4k

Song Inspiration: The Night We Met by Lord Huron

Y/N: Alright, you guys. We're here. Finally getting some answers about why Ted gives us all creepy vibes. I hope you're ready! This part was really intense to write and I hope I hit the proper tone. Getting near the end, my loves! I can't believe it. Feedback is always appreciated, in any form! Please let me know your thoughts. I adore you all.<3

________________________________

Previously:

"Y/N?" you heard Steve call out a few minutes later.

Confused, you put Grant in his bed and tucked him in, then shutting his door quietly. Walking toward the front door, you peeked around a visibly concerned Steve and your heart stopped.

____________

"Ted?" you asked in shock, heart in your throat. "What are you doing here?"

Ted stood on your porch with a white paper bag in hand. He looked almost as baffled as you, not because he found himself there but from the circumstances that he had walked into.

Soon he found his voice. "Evening, Y/N. You said you were sick so, I thought...well, it seems you're feeling better, so soup isn't really needed," Ted spoke sharply now, realizing he had been misled.

Steve stood beside you with arms crossed over his massive chest, wearing an expression of concern with touch of anger.

You were frozen a moment, feeling caught in the headlights, but shortly you thawed. "Um...come on in, Ted. Kurt was just on his way out," you said with regret, seeing the flicker of hurt on Steve's face before he set it in stone. He offered a nod and headed for the door, grabbing his coat from the hook.

Just as Steve passed by Ted, the thin man spoke up. "Kurt, was it?"

The blond paused a moment before slipping on his coat. "That's right."

"How long did you work for Snow Peaks?" Ted asked, his tone casual.

Steve shrugged. "A few months, years ago. I'm just passing through for a visit. Have a good night. Good to see you again, Ted. Y/N," he nodded, your name sounding like a regretful goodbye. He understood the purpose of pretending, but it broke both of your hearts to do it.

Once the door closed behind Steve, you invited Ted into the living room, hopefully to explain or perhaps apologize. You could tell he was upset, his mouth set in a grim line. He set down the paper bag on the side table and turned to face you.

"Ted, I...I don't know what to say. It was wrong of me to lie to you, but I didn't expect to be called into work and we ended up going into the mountains without cell service. I'm sorry that I made up the story that I was sick, but it just came out. It was unprofessional and disrespectful and I can't tell you how sorry I am," you blurted quickly, finally taking a breath and hoping that he would see your apology as genuine.