5 | As Good As Dead

Semaj's POV

I nibbled at the small leg of chicken as I sat on the floor of Michael's bedroom. He sat beside me devouring the food that he had on his plate and when I looked over I couldn't help but laugh.

"What?" He asked with a mouthful, "I ain't ate shit all day."

"Michael I told you that you should eat breakfast. It's the most important meal of the day."

He shook his head, "when I'm getting up at seven in the morning the last thing I'm gon do is try and eat something. Do you eat every morning?"

I nodded my head yes as he reached over and grabbed one of the napkins that was in front of my plate.

"Even if it's just a pop tart. I always try to eat something and you should too."

"You should too," he mocked me and wiped at his mouth. "What you doin this weekend?"

"Uh, my parents are going out of town so it'll just be me and Simone," I chuckled and shook my head, "but probably just me. Simone has her own little life going on."

"So what you sayin is you free?"

I shrugged, "maybe. Why?"

"You tryna go out?" Michael bit down on his bottom lip and my mouth curved into a wide smile.

"You mean... like a date?"

He nodded his head and I'm pretty sure the excitement could be shown on my face. I couldn't recall the last time Michael and I had actually been out on a date. He was busy with working and taking his classes, and I was preoccupied with physical therapy and catching up in school.

"I can try and be free," I nodded my head and Michael replied with a sly smile. "Where are we going to go? Do I need to dress up?"

"Ima let you know, a'ight?" I nodded my head again and went back to eating my chicken as Michael got up and got his trash to take it downstairs.

I definitely couldn't wait until this school week was finished so I could spend some quality time with Michael.

A few days later....

"Boo!" Lina yelled behind me and I jumped around shielding my heart.

I swatted at her, but she moved before my hand made contact with her arm. "Stop doing that!"

"You get scared so easily," she rolled her eyes before she lifted her arm. "Anything different about me?"

"You're no longer wearing your caste!" I yelled excitedly and grabbed her wrist, but she hissed in pain. "Oh God, Lina I'm sorry."

"It's okay," she chuckled and shook her head. "It's going to be tender for a week or two, but I'm going to be doing a few arm and wrist exercises."

"That's good... It looks like we're both getting back to our normal selves."

"Really?" She raised her brows, "so you're doing better?"

"Uh yeah," I turned back toward my locker and started putting in the combination.

"So you haven't had any more dreams or flashbacks of the accident?"

Of course I still had them, but I wasn't going to tell Lina that because she would have told Michael.

"Semaj...." She whispered and stepped closer as I looked into my locker to avoid looking at her. "I'm worried about you. You went through a traumatic experience and you may need to get some professional help to get through it."