Chapter Sixty-Eight

Crissa immediately went to the door and looked out into the night. A powerfully lonely feeling came over her. She quickly shut to door, and realizing there was no way of locking it, took a chair from the kitchen and propped it under the handle to at least make its unwanted opening more difficult from the outside. She then went about the rooms trying to create a living space that she could accept for the next few days and nights, realizing there would be a minimum of comfort and limited supplies. Not knowing how to operate David's motorcycle insured that she would be stranded in the cabin with only the possibility of calling a friend or her father to come to rescue her if the situation became intolerable or overly dangerous.

Plugging in her battery charger for her cell phone was a must, as was turning on the main water valve under the kitchen sink, to insure there would be water in the place. As there was no television or radio in the cabin, and more critically, no Internet access, Crissa prepared herself or a long and stressful stay, hoping only that David might return for his own safety. It was essential as well, that she had hoped to make more accepting of each other's presence while David was in his transformed and more animalistic state.

The long, lonely evening, now brightly lit outside, directed her thoughts once more to the possibilities of sharing David's complex life on a more serious and lasting level. And she knew that that life for both of them could become ultimately fuller by making the frightening step of bonding with him sexually once he returned to being a man again.

This extreme notion opened the real possibility of her initiating the rare lycan curse, shared by David and Julie—but now upon herself biologically. And as horrid as the idea might have sounded to anyone else, it was now in her heart and mind to do so. The negatives of it were simply counter-argued by Crissa's growing love for the young man, whom she had already been though so much with, unconditionally. Though the idea for her becoming a werewolf through David's sexual bodily fluids might be seen as an insane risk, Crissa, more and more saw it as the essential way to find a complete future with him in both worlds.

Much of these thoughts and ruminations, she understood however, would depend on David's power and commitment to fight off his animal instincts during these trying times in the wilds. Were he not to mate—counter to what all adult wolves were known to do, and for their entire lifetimes—she considered she would fight off all her self-indulged and self-preserving impulses to truly be his mate. Both as a woman and a wolf. It was an emerging fantasy but gaining traction in reality with each time they were together in conflicting worlds. It was, in fact, a thought first born in her since David's phenomenal changes were observed in Germany.

It was after Crissa had eaten some yogurt and fruit that evening and made ready her bed for that first night, that she heard the first distant wails of the wolves. Sounding somewhat safely in the direction of the distant mountains. Then, suddenly, there was a scratching sound on the front door of the cabin.

She got out of bed where she still wore her clothes and walked slowly from the bedroom to the living room, and then directly to the closed and secured door. The scratching continued, sounding more as a signal than any real attempt to enter. There was no howling, growling or barking on the other side, as wolves were known to do. Just the continued, deliberate scratching as a signal. A sign to want to enter.

"David? . . . David is it you?"

The scratching was more deliberate now. A definite response to her question. Crissa immediately trusted her instincts. With one hand held on the door to keep it closed and the other to move the chair away from the handle, she slowly opened it slightly. She was prepared to keep it just ajar as a barrier with all her strength if necessary. But looking outside, suddenly there, with its soft eyes looking up at her, Crissa could see that without a doubt, it was David, now returned to the cabin.