Chapter 33

Natalie's Pov

I laugh with Martha as she tells me all the rather embarrassing things Xander used to do when he was little. I nearly died when she told me he peed on her sleeping cat when he was 2. My king was a mwessy wittle bwaby. She even told me she has pictures and will show them to me when I visit her. Right now we are walking from the cosmetics store and heading to my dress fitting. We picked up the shoes earlier and I learned they were custom made. I already know who made that happen but I'm very thankful. "Yes dearie. Xander always was a messy child. Doing the usually things boys his age did. Play in the dirt, chase dogs and jump in mud puddles. I'd never seen a more happy child then he, but all that changed when his mother left. For weeks he wouldn't come out his room and if he did he never spoke a word to anybody. He was so depressed and his father only made it worse by blaming him all the time. I've never seen that man ever just for an hour, desire to spend time with his son. He never really cared for Xander after the divorce from his wife so he was mainly raised by his nannies. I didn't move back to California until he was 19 so he was grown by then but ever since I've always cared for him like my own. Both Jack and I. Even though I know Jack can be difficult sometimes....he really does mean well and just wants what Is best for Xander. He only said such mean things because the women Xander used to take out only wanted to bed him for money, but you are in no way like them. No one could even compare. You really love him for him and I wish Jack could see that. Don't worry about that though, he'll come around. He needs to get to know you first and as a matter of fact he can do that tonight at the ball."

"I'd love to get to know him but I don't think he's gonna give me the chance. I mean I absolutely understand but tonight isn't about me or him getting to know each other. It's about Xander and tonight my job is to be there with him not matter what. But if Jack talks to me I'm sure we'll have a good conversation."

"You're right. But promise me one thing". I give a nod and a small smile. "Never ever leave my nephew. He's already lost his mother and he cant lose the love of his life too". smiling reassuringly I place a hand on her shoulder. "Always know Xander will never be alone again. I give you my word". she pulls me into a tight hug which I happily accept. "Well lets get that dress fitted so we can return you to my nephew safe and sound". Laughing we both make our way into the store. Walking inside my jaw drops when I see a very upset Xander looking in my direction. I run up to him and he immediately locks his arms around me. I notice his harsh breathes and reach my hands up to cheeks, stroking them in effort to calm him down. "Xander, baby calm down its alright your ok. Just take a deep breath and calm down a bit." he obeys my words and starts to calm himself. "Now, tell me what's wrong baby, whatever it is we can fix it." he starts to speak but quiets himself and I know the reason. "We'll be right back Martha." she nods and I grab Xander's hand, pulling him into a dressing room. He sits down and I stand between his knees. I still have to reach up to run my fingers through his hair because no matter what he always towers over me. "Now tell me Xander, why are you so upset?''.

He takes my hands in his looking into my eyes before cupping the back of my head, as we begin a beautiful kiss.

When we pull away for a breath, Xander tells me why he was so worried.

"When I woke up and saw you weren't with me earlier I nearly freaked but then I saw your message, so I came here and I didn't see you, I thought something happened to you. I don't ever want to feel like that again. I do have enemies but I would lose it if I ever let them get near you. Don't ever scare me like that again, ok angel." I nod and kiss his nod, resting my forehead against his. "You are my life now and I have to make sure you are never harmed in any way."

"Ssh, I'm not going anywhere.'' I nuzzle his head to my chest and he hums in appreciation. "Love, have I ever told you how soft your bre-"

"Xander! we are in a dressing room, don't get any ideas in here. And don't forget your aunt is right outside this door and I don't think she would like to hear our moans." he laughs and loosens his hold on me which I take full advantage of and run out the dressing room and to Martha. I hear loud footsteps and seconds later feel huge arms wrap around my chest. "You won't ever be able to escape me angel. Now go and try on your dress, I will be waiting for you when your done." nodding my head I turn around and head to the dressing rooms. Gosh should I hope Xander isn't mad at Martha for taking me here without notifying him. I know he worries about me and I love him for that but he has to know that nothing is going to happen to me.

After trying on the dress which fits perfectly I head back to the main area of the store. I see Xander talking to his aunt and it looks kinda serious so I walk up to both of them. "All I'm saying Xander, is that you should let her go out more often and have fun. You don't have to be so possessive of her. She is a grown woman and can make her own decisions."

''No I cant risk anything happening to her and I'm not there. I have a higher security now for a reason and that is to keep her safe at all times. You know she's my life and if you respect my wishes for her protection, you'll stop encouraging ideas that she needs to go out alone more." I just stand there awkwardly between them confused as to what all was said in my absence. I place a hand on Xander's chest which seems to get his attention. "Hey, is everything ok?"

He smiles softly, giving me a nod. "Yes princess. Just had to discuss something with my aunt." looking at Martha she sighs and bids us a goodbye until the Ball. That was...weird.