Chapter 12 - Captured Once Again

Feng Yao followed behind the group of men. Her small figure made it easy for her to blend in with the rest of the people strolling down the street for the morning market.

Hm? Where are they going? This way seems to be leading out of the city.

The men were travelling steadily down the street that led towards the outside of the city parameters. As Feng Yao followed them farther and farther, she could see the crowds of civilians dwindle down until there was no one left. No one except for the dirty beggars and poor orphan children hiding in the shadows.

Here, in the outskirts of the city, were the slums that the kingdom often tried to pretend that didn't exist. Feng Yao could sense hungry and desperate stares as she walked by. A few weeks ago, she had also been one of them here. Yet now, she was someone that they were all waiting to jump and rob.

Feng Yao ignored the stares and focused on staying far enough from the group of men so that they wouldn't notice her. She saw them pause at the end of the street before turning onto a hidden alleyway shrouded in darkness. It seemed like even the local beggars knew to stay away from that deserted path.

Her silent footsteps had none of the usual 'pitter patters' as she slowly walked closer. Just as she was about to reach the corner, she felt someone suddenly pick her up by the back collar and pull her backwards. 

Sighing, she hummed to herself, Mother bear must have finally caught up~

As her body was forcibly turned around, Ru Qiang's indifferent face appeared right in front of her. Like usual, he was beautiful like a god. Elegant like flowers. Sturdy like a tree. Stubborn like weeds. Bitter like potatoes. Mean like a villain. Evil like...

Wait. Did she get those wrong? 

Nah, probably not.

Smiling sweetly, Feng Yao showed no trace of having just insulted him in her mind. "Ah, my dear fiance. Fancy seeing you here in the slums! What ever is the matter that you have come here too?"

Ru Qiang's lips pressed together at hearing that his title had been changed to 'dear fiance' by her. Ignoring the question, he looked at her with a flat expression.

"Where are you going?" 

His voice was emotionless making it hard to understand what he was thinking. But Feng Yao didn't seem to mind as she lightly laughed and patted his shoulder.

"What ever do you mean, my lovable fiance? You amuse me with your doting actions and thoughtful concern." 

The bright grin on Feng Yao's face was so blinding that Ru Qiang's lips automatically turned into a frown without him realizing it. 

"Stop calling me your fiance. We are not engaged." 

Ru Qiang  backed away a half-step. Instantly, he felt better at the increase in space between them. But the next moment, his relief was shattered as Feng Yao stepped forward blinking innocently. True to his request, she didn't call him 'fiance' anymore.

"My dear hubby~ Oh how I do love this hot and cold attitude of yours." With bright loving eyes, she dotingly poked him in the chest where his heart was. From behind Ru Qiang, Li Yue watched uncomfortably at their lovey dovey interaction. 

Feng Yao stealthily slid her hand inside the front of Ru Qiang's robe as she stepped even closer. Ru Qiang was about to step away before realizing that something was off. He completely forgot about maintaining the dignity of his personal bubble as he noticed the suddenly sharp look in her eyes that contrast her carefree movements. Before he could say anything, she had already removed her hand and moved away.