04

Chapter Four | Daddy Issues

Throwing an end of summer bash wasn't a task for the faint of heart. It was the day of the event, and here I was, standing in the middle of my walk-in closet sweating bullets. And, as Mimi, our housekeeper, slowly made her way around me fitting the black partly sheer button down with a silver trimming along my arm, I felt my palm sweating and it took everything in me not to wipe it against my pants. I paused, tried to think of something pleasant, but a subtle pinching sensation abrupt from behind and I winced instead.

"Are you okay?" Mimi asked, concern filling her chestnut colored eyes. I nod. "Yes, I'm okay." I sent her a reassuring smile and she gladly mirrored before she went back to fitting the suit on me.

Looking ahead at the grand full-length mirror in front of me, I couldn't help but wipe the smile off my face. Finally the day I've dreading is here and I can't halt the sun ebbing it's gradual way behind the clouds slowly being replaced by the moon. Everything hinges on what I do tonight, and once done it can never be undone. I can't think straight, this morning I put my phone in my left pocket instead of my right like I usually do, and I panicked when I couldn't find it.

I've been throwing this same annul bash since freshman year, and each year is better than the last. Each one with it own fond memories, and yet I don't think I've ever been this nervous for any of them like I am for this one. Maybe because it's the last one, the most important one that initiate our journey into our final year of high school. Everyone's going to be talking about this next week when the semester officially starts, and they'll be talking about it months after. This party has to be perfect because everything I do is perfect; anything Liam Claremont does is never less than perfect.

"All finished with your suit, Parris." Mimi said, before stepping back and giving me a once over."You like?"

Mimi was one of the few people I felt comfortable enough to let call me by my real name, but that's only because she's practically family. I honestly can't recall a time without her in my life. She's been working for my family for years, and she's always just kinda been there for me, helping me with my homework when my parents were too busy, fixing me dinner whenever they were out of town, and even consulting and listening to my problems whenever I needed to talk. She even went out of her way to teach me French, her native language. It's a good tool to use when we need to talk about something privately in front of my parents.

I'm forever grateful for her and her services.

I wiggled around in the suit as I stepped forward, my full figure coming into view of the mirror. The black suit with silver trimming fitted me well. The silver buttons and white cuffing giving it great detailing, and for the first time today, I smiled. I turned around to Mimi and said, "I love it. Thank you so much."

Mimi clapped her hands together in a joyous manner, before she soon started to gather her belongings. I was too busy staring at myself in the mirror that I hadn't notice the doors of the fitting room fly open.