21| Knuckles

"He did what?!"

I look at a wide-eyed Fern. Her mouth is hanging open and her eyes are wide.

Mine would be too, if she had been the one telling me what Kyle did Friday night.

"Indie!" She gasps. "Let me see it."

I sigh and pull down my turtleneck sweater to reveal the painful bluish hickey on my neck.

Fern gasps at the sight. "Oh Indie, I can't believe Kyle would do that! Why would he?"

I shrug. The truth is, I have thought much about the incident with Kyle and I. I concluded that yes, he is a horny bastard like Anson said. But more importantly, he was jealous of my seven minutes in Heaven with Anson.

I move down the lunch line with Fern. The cafeteria is crowded and I try to think through the noise.

Was forcing me to kiss him Kyle's retaliation? Would he have gone farther if Anson and Bryce hadn't come to my rescue?

I don't know.

"Indie, I think it goes without saying that you should stay away from parties from now on."

I nod. "Oh I know."

Fern shakes her head unhappily. "It sucks, too. I was really hoping Kyle would be the one for you."

In that case, I'm glad this happened just to prove you wrong.

I shrug. "I've been trying to avoid him." I say honestly. "So far its been easy, but we're bound to cross paths soon- maybe even today."

My stomach feels uneasy at the thought of that.

"Just make sure you aren't alone. He's not going to do anything in broad daylight."

"I know." I look at Fern and grab a tray like she has just done. "But Anson and Bryce beat him up. What if he wants revenge?"

I know it sounds stupid, but I'm paranoid after these past weeks.

"Indie, Anson and Bryce are capable of taking care of themselves. And like I said, just make sure you aren't alone for Kyle to do something."

She's right. I'm worrying too much.

I slowly pile food on my tray and follow after my best friend. She saw the hickey on my neck, but she didn't see the bruises on my wrists, or the imagine burned into my mind.

An image of Kyle over-powering me and doing what he pleased.

She has no idea what I felt in that moment. I have a right to be scared.

*****

On my way to seventh period, I find myself humming a jazz tune to myself.

The things my brain does to keep me occupied.

I didn't talk much to Anson this morning in first period, but we usually have most conversations in history. While fern sleeps...

I want to talk to him about Friday and Saturday, but it seems awkward to talk about something that happened outside of school, together.

I frown and push past a group of students crowding the hall. I sashay down the corridor and turn the corner, when I come face to face with my newest green-eyed enemy.

Kyle.

I want to hurl at the sight and the memory he brings.

He flashes a radiant smile- confusing me for a moment.