Twenty Seven: Fear

Oikawa was lying on his bed, deep into his thoughts.

The bet, huh?

How did it go? In eight weeks [Name] has to become his girlfriend?

Oikawa quickly counted the days since the bet started. It was merely a week, yet so much happened. So many lies happened.

"Let me gain your trust".

"I'll show you my true self".

"I'll never hurt you".

God, he was such a jerk. He knew it, yet his stupid pride would always win. And there he was, unable to think of anything but this fragile, broken girl, whose past was still a mystery for him. A girl who couldn't trust. A girl hiding her feelings. A girl who was too afraid to expect anything, too afraid of being disappointed. And probably the only girl in the world who understood him.

[Name] hid her face in the pillow. Today's incident made her think more of what happened during the last week.

Oikawa, the boy she admired for his strong will and hard work since the junior high school, approached her and later explained this as a flirting attempt. However, instead of giving up, he became interested in her and started inviting her on his practices. When the second year girls started harassing her, Oikawa said that she was his girlfriend and kissed her. The same day, she found the old picture of Shizuku and broke down. Hearing this, Oikawa came to her and consoled her. For some reason, she said a part of her primary school story and agreed to let Oikawa in. Today they played a game and suddenly Oikawa started teasing her. And... And she liked it.

The girl squealed and tightened her eyes as the memory of Oikawa stroking her lips came back.

She took a deep breath before turning on her back.

This was too much.

Everything concerning Oikawa was too much.

This boy was too much.

She had this suspicion previously, but only today she could be sure. She shouldn't have agreed to anything Oikawa suggested. He was dangerous. He could easily make her open up and say everything she was hiding so carefully all these years. Step by step she started trusting him. She started expecting from him.

If she continued this friendship it would surely end up on her being left behind.

Once again.

It still wasn't too late. She could still return to her previous self. She could still maintain these promises.

Don't trust.

Don't expect.

This would be for the best.

From tomorrow, she would stop hanging out with Oikawa.