Love at First Letter - 2

Rewritten Version is up to read! 

Love at First Letter

Chapter Two

Brett Tinsley

I stared at the piece of paper in my hand with wide eyes. I wasn't sure I was even going to get a response. But as I read through the letter I couldn't help but smile. I would surely spend those fifty dollars wisely. They were definitely going towards beer.

Beer was a rarity when we were deployed. The fifty dollars would have to wait until we were stationed somewhere.

I walked towards the tent designated for food and smiled when I saw Sergeant Tate eating. I strode up towards him and placed the piece of paper down on the table in front of him and held my hand out waiting for the fifty dollars.

"No way." I stared at the paper with a look that I didn't recognize. He looked almost hurt. But I wasn't going to question. "Did you coax her into writing you back?" He asked.

"Maybe, I just let her know that there was fifty dollars on the line here and that I really didn't want to lose." I explained to him. "She probably wrote it out of pity. She did say her best friends convinced her to write the letter back to me."

"Still, they've been trying to get her to write a letter back to me for years. And never once did she send one back." This was the first time I had seen Sergeant Tate even remotely vulnerable. He was always a hard ass and always in control. But in reality he was a big softy. Of course I have seen his immature side, especially when drunk, but I had never seen him like this. "Are you going to write her back."

"I figure it's the least I can do since she did win me fifty bucks." I said, "Which I'm still waiting for by the way." Sergeant Tate dug through his wallet and pulled out fifty dollars for me.

"I expect a free round of beers from you soldier."

"Yes sir," I saluted him before picking up the piece of paper and walking back towards the tall tree outside of my tent. It was a nice place to sit, and it gave off lots of shade. It was hot over here and you really appreciate the shade this tree has to offer when there's not much available.

I took out a piece of paper and a pen and began to write a response.

Dear Miss Hazel,

                I want to thank you for helping me win the fifty dollars. Sergeant Tate was extremely shocked to see that you had written me back, and he had seemed pretty upset when he realized you would write me back and not him. I'm not sure why you haven't written him back, but if you could do me this favor and just write him. It doesn't have to be long, and I'm not sure why I'm asking this of you. But the man did hand over the fifty bucks without an argument, so I feel like I owe this to him.