Chapter 43

I am not allowed outside, Rosen's orders.

    But surely I didn't want to be out there, where men harassed Dustin with aggression, razzing at his failures because they knew he had no way of fighting back. People act tough when their prey is tied down, thinking they're gods to those who can't defend themselves. But if ... when ... those restrains come loose and Dustin walks free, every single one of those men will be on their knees, begging to be spared from consequence worse than hell and a fate worse than death.

    Not everyone has a sense for the future though, thus those men continue to mock Dustin. They poke at the bear, threaten to wake the sleeping giant. Where the logic was in such a decision was lost to me, I saw no logic in antagonizing someone like Dustin. The Reapers thought they were safe because of the binding that kept Dustin restrained, they thought they were safe because their loyalty was handed blindly to Rosen as though he'd protect them.

    But they were wrong.

    They are not safe.

    I saw the look of impending carnage tangled deeply in Dustin's eyes, coursing through his body on a web of veins that pumped sheer adrenaline. His vision saw only one future, cased in pain and dripping with blood. His eyes were hollow when he thought these things, and though I support his desire to provide a long and slow death for each of the men who were wronging him even now, I couldn't get past the darkness in his gaze. The darkness I didn't know.

    My Dustin was gone. The one that remained was something else, something much worse.

    Chris escorted me inside shortly after; partially because his father ordered him to do so and partially because he didn't want me to see the way Dustin would be treated. His abuse inside the jailhouse was nothing compared to what these men did to him while he was powerless in that throne.

    As bad as it might be, I was glad Chris brought me inside and somewhere deep down, I think Chris was relieved to get away as well. He never thought of Dustin as a monster like Rosen did, Chris still saw Dustin as his friend from so long ago. I thought it was difficult to see Dustin this way, I could only imagine how Chris felt knowing it was his own gang committing such devious acts.

    It has been hours since then. The sun rose high into the sky, passed overhead, and was now on its final descent. In all that time, still I haven't been able to fabricate a plan. I needed something – anything – to get Dustin out of this situation, to send him and our friends back to the compound before the sun set and he was called to fight.

    Do not be mistaken, I trust Dustin to fight Rosen. I trust him to win. I have faith in him and when Dustin sets his mind to something, there is no other road but the one he paves. Although he is a different man now, fundamentally he is the same. The platform that houses his morals and ethics is stronger than ever, and Dustin will do anything to save the rest of us. Even if that means self sacrifice. In the heat of the moment, he won't hesitate if his life is put in danger.

    And that terrifies me.

    Dustin is more courageous than us all but that quality is going to get him killed.

    I just know it.

    When the door opened for only the second time that day and Chris walked in, I knew my time was up. He sighed and opened his mouth to speak but I held up a hand, halting him, "It is good news or bad news?"

    Chris seemed disappointed that I'd think there was any good news to spread, "Do you want the truth or do you want me to lie?"

    "Lie, definitely lie." I responded, already feeling a sharp prick behind my forehead where a migraine was gaining impulse, "Otherwise, honestly, I don't want to hear it."