Chapter One

// Picture above is what I picture Lee to look like. You can imagine her as you see fit :) //

 You can imagine her as you see fit :) //

I woke up to find the small house quiet. After years of waking up at 4 am, your body get's used to it. I grabbed my hat, twisted my hair into a messy, low bun and tucked the rest into my hat. In preparation, I neglected to brush my hair for two weeks hoping it would help my facade. I turned to the mirror to take a quick look into the cracked, grungy glass before I left - I sighed at my reflection. Despite my lack of makeup and my knotted hair, my face looked too soft and fragile to look like a deck boy. I decided I would rub some dirt on it before I attempted anything today. 

I grabbed my father's journal and threw it in my shoulder bag. I wrapped up my chest with a long piece of cloth, even though it wasn't really necessary, and buttoned up my white shirt. Over the years I had stolen random clothing I had found that would work for me posing on a merchant ship as I only had one plain grey dress. Being cramped into a small house amongst twelve other people made it next to impossible for me to purchase anything for myself. It's not like stealing was natural for me - in fact, that was the only case where I had stolen anything. I looked in the mirror one last time, and satisfied with my appearance, I snuck out of the room. 

By the time I got to the harbour the docks were bustling. I scanned the area and saw two possible options for me - both merchant ships. Usually boys would start at the young age of fourteen to be a deck boy, but they were always looking for extra hands. If I offered them a sum of money as well, how could they refuse? I grasped the cloth that held my coins I had earned over the years and approached a sailor. 

Over the span of five years I had studied the docks so I wouldn't appear as an outsider when the time came. I learned what deck boys do, how the ropes work, and how sailors talk. I even paid a sailor with a glass of beer to educate me on how things worked at sea - I did that straight for a week to get every little detail I could. 

"I need a spot on that ship. I know how to cook, clean, and I will do anything you ask of me. You can put me on the lowest rung I don't care," I said as I handed the man my coins, "Oh, and judging by the appearance of those clouds, I would make sure your ship is fully stocked up to prevent broaching during the storm," I added. 

It was a bright and sunny day but I had studied everything I could over the years which included cloud formations. I was fully aware the sailor already knew that a storm was coming, but any additional skills he saw in me would help. The gruff sailor skeptically looked at me. He gave me a once over and grabbed my hands, "Calloused and dirty," He said and nodded, "Welcome to the crew, deck boy." 

I gave a little grin, nodded, and started towards the ship before he changed his mind. 

"Were on our way father," I smiled and patted the journal in my bag. 

The ship was crowded and busy. The crew was still loading the ship up, I decided to roll up my sleeves and follow the crowd. 

"I'll grab the other end," I heard a boy say behind me as I attempted to lift a fifty pound bag of rice. 

"Thanks," I said as I turned around and we both lifted. 

"What's your-" 

Shit. 

On the other side of the bag was my sixteen year old cousin. 

This was impossible! His ship wasn't supposed to be back for another two weeks! 

"What is it?" My cousin questioned and then took a good look at me, "Wait... Lee?" 

"I don't know what your talking about," I started to say and turned around to pick something else up. My cousin grabbed my shoulder tightly and yanked me to face him, "Lee what the hell are you doing," He growled. 

I pushed him off of me and started to jog the other way. I looked back - yup, he was definitely chasing me. I began to sprint and ran up the stairs. I looked around for a way to escape but he was blocking the only way off the ship. I had only one other option. I clutched my journal, secured my hat, and jumped off the ship. 

I attempted to keep the journal out of the water by keeping my arm straight above my head. I managed to keep most of it dry. I breathed in as I reached the surface and didn't bother to look back. I swam past two ships that were docked and grabbed hold of the ropes on the third ship. I was about to climb when I felt the ship move... it was about to set sail. I quickly climbed up and stopped just below the railing. When I was sure everything was secure, I grabbed on tightly and got as comfortable as I could on a side of a moving ship. I was going to be here for a while. 

Five hours... five bloody hours I was hanging on. I was in pretty good shape, but this was definitely the hardest thing I've ever done. My plan was to wait until nightfall to climb aboard - someone was bound to notice me if I climbed over in broad daylight.  

I forced my aching body to climb the rest of the way up. It was dark now and the sea was fairly calm so I had to be as quiet as possible. I scanned the deck and saw no sign of anyone. I pulled myself over and gently hopped to the ground. So far so good. 

I made my way down below the deck to find a safe place to sleep. I was about to explore down below when I felt a hand on my shoulder, "You have two seconds to explain yourself."