Chapter 21

*Reece's POV*

Lilah was doing everything to avoid looking at me. And it was killing me because I had no idea why. Everything was going so well, and then all of a sudden it was like I was the black plague. It was probably Malinda's fault, or whatever her name was. I looked at Lilah. Her skin was a sickly pale instead of her warm cheeks that I loved to see turn pink. She looked tired. Her eyes flicked around the table, never staying too long on any particular plate of food. Everyone started getting helpings. I couldn't help but notice Lilah's hesitation towards, well everything. 

When her father called to invite me to dinner, I thought she knew about it. It was strange for some reason, to think that she didn't. Why he decided to randomly invite me over, I had no idea. But I didn't really care at the moment. I just wanted to talk to Lilah.

"So Reece, tell us about you," her mother prompted.

I cleared my throat, tearing my gaze away from Lilah.

"Well, I live with my mother in a small house not too far from here. I work at a local bar," I said going through the obvious.

"What do you do at a bar?" Mr. Arson asked with confusion. Although it sounded more like suspition with a hint of accusation.

"I fight there," I responded calmly, deciding going with the truth would probably be the best way to win him over.

"Wow," Malissa said beside me. "That must be terrifying. Do you train for them?"

I simply nodded, my eyes moving back to Lilah's. She was focused on cutting her pork chop into extremely tiny bites. This was not the Lilah that beat me in a food eating contest. Was she acting differently because of her parents?

"How much do you earn?" Mrs. Arson asked. I had the feeling she was baiting me.

"Enough," I replied, looking over at her quickly.

"Well, if you ever are looking for a job that pays higher, my offer still stands."

"Yeah, and we could even do some modeling together, Reece," Malissa said leaning towards me. "Wouldn't that be fun?" she asked suggestively.

I saw Lilah tense momentarily before going back to pushing her food around. Without taking my eyes off of her, I said "Modeling isn't really my thing."

They asked me more questions. About my family, my grades, my plans for the future, my opinions on certain theories and laws. Most of those questions came from her father, which I respected and answered truthfully.

Every now and then I would look over at Lilah. She would lift a napkin to her mouth often, and after a while, I realized I hadn't seen her actually swallow a single bite of food. She took small sips of her water and still worked at avoiding my stare.

No matter what I did, Lilah wouldn't look at me, and Malissa wouldn't take the hint that I had no interest in her whatsoever. Every once and a while Logan would talk and take the attention off of me and I would send him a grateful glance each time.

Once dinner was almost over, Lilah's father spoke up again.

"Well Reece, it seems my daughter has taken interest into your particular situation," I glanced over at her and for the first time tonight, she really looked at me. "And I have to admit that I have too. I thought we could talk more in my office," he said before setting his napkin on the table and standing up.

I stood up as well and turned towards Mrs. Arson. "Thank you so much for having me here tonight, Mrs. Arson."

I shot one last look at Lilah before walking with Mr. Arson into his office.