seven

Maria Hill had taken the four to the secret facility that a few loyal SHIELD members had been taken too

Maria Hill had taken the four to the secret facility that a few loyal SHIELD members had been taken too. It was a large stone structure, appearing to be an abandoned dam. As soon as they entered through the hidden door, they entered a stone walled hall. There was pipes above them, leaking water in some areas leaving small puddles on the ground. The building had a distinct musty smell and the air was damp and cold.

After they had entered a man came running towards them, going to tend to Natasha's wound. "GSW, she's lost at least a pint," Hill tells the doctor.

"I'd say about two," Marci added, she had been quite experienced in treating gunshot wounds from being in Afghanistan.

The doctor nodded, "Let me take her."
"Wait," Maria says stopping the man from grabbing her. "She'll want to see him first." The four outlaws share a glance with one another, not understanding who she was referring too. She leads them down a seperate hall, moving a plastic door to the side she allows them to enter the room. It was revealed to them that Nick Fury the director of SHIELD was still alive. Although Marci and Sam weren't a part of SHIELD, they both knew who the man was. Though his current condition prevented him from meeting his normally profound reputable standards. He lied in a hospital bed, attached to multiple machines keeping track of his health.

Despite his current circumstances, he still had his strong wit, "About damn time." He said looking between the four. The doctor sat Natasha down, applying stitches to her wound as Fury spoke to them about his injuries. "Lacerated spinal column, cracked sternum, shattered collarbone, perforated liver, and one hell of a headache." He listed.

"Don't forget your collapsed lung," The doctor quickly added. Marci grimaced, those were hefty injuries, she was both surprised and not surprised at all that Fury had made it out.

"Oh, lets not forget that. Otherwise, I'm good." He told them, but he didn't sound very good.

"They cut you open, your heart stopped." Natasha had images of Fury in the operating room running through her mind, especially the point where she saw Nick's heart rate monitor flat line. Marci was surprised, she hadn't known that Fury had faked his own death, she was curious of how he had done it.

"Tetrodotoxin B," He stated. "Slows the pulse to one beat a minute. Banner developed it for stress. It didn't work so great for him but we found a use for it."

"Why all the secrecy?" Steve spoke for the first time since arriving at the new base. "Why not just tell us?"

"Any attempt on the directors life had to look successful." Maria added, folding her arms over her chest.

"Can't kill you if you're already dead," He paused before he continued. "Besides, I wasn't sure who I could trust."

A few minutes later a few of Fury's men helped him out of the bed, and helped him walk to a nearby table. Natasha and Marci had sat down along with Fury, while the two boys stood at the side. Fury held an old photo of Pierce, Marci had found that he was the one who attempted to kill him and sent the people to capture Captain America and Black Widow.
"This man declined the Nobel Peace Prize," He said not being able to believe that Pierce had turned out to be HYDRA. "He said, 'Peace isn't an achievement, it was a responsibility.' It's stuff like this that gives me trust issues."