2 | 7

"These better be some good drugs doc..."

fate of the stars | ella

____

It's a weird feeling, being both awake and asleep. That state of consciousness when you're aware of the world around you yet you just can't seem to move yet, to open your eyes.

Lying in the darkness with the beep of a machine the only noise of the world accompanying you isn't pleasant.

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

It's almost enough to make you wish you were dead just to get rid of the irritating noise.

Beep.

Beep.

Be-

A door opening sounded, and I heard footsteps as people came in.

"She's waking up, she can probably hear you, but isn't able to respond until her entire body wakes up."

Yup.

That's exactly right.

"I'll give you a minute with her son." I heard a voice. Wait. That's dad! Hey, son? Wha-

"Hey, Ells... You ummm... You gave me a big scare you know that... You probably can't hear me right now but seriously don't do that again. I cried so much that I think I'm dehydrated. God, I hope you can't hear me now, you don't need to know how much of a baby I was... So, I hope you're having a good sleep. Yeah. Sleep is good..." he went on and I felt my face beginning to move into a small smile, feeling now coming into my arms.

I lifted the lids of my eyes slowly letting the white light infect my vision. "Hey, Jake..." I said softly, causing his head to whip towards my face, and all tension left, his facing morphing with relief.

"Els? Oh, thank God." He breathed hugging me.

Well trying.

It's hard to hug someone who can't really move much. Kind of a one-way street.

But hey. He tried.

"I thought you where gone..." He said looking back up and I could see tears clouding his eyes.

"Hey, don't cry, I'm still here they haven't gotten me yet," I said with an even bigger smile, feeling coming back into the rest of my body allowing me to try to sit up.

Keyword.

Try.

Upon seeing my struggle Jake helped lift me into a sitting position and helped fix pillows behind me.

"El's they asked me about the surgery..."

"I thought they would. What did you say?" I asked softly.

"What you told me to say, to give it ago..."

"Jake." I breathed looking down at the boy who was kneeling on the ground beside me. The boy that gave me everything I wanted.

The boy that I loved.

"I-I'm going to do it... I'm going to do the surgery."

"Wait. Ella, you woke up you're fi-"

"Don't say I'm fine Jake. I'm not. I know that. I-" Tears started coming down my face. "My times nearly up Jake, I can feel it, I know. And I think it would be stupid to not give it ago at this point. What they said, about another month or two. It's not true Jake, I can feel it. Even if I didn't try the surgery. I don't have that long Jake, I'm sorry, and I-I don't think I have enough to fight anymore..." I went off looking down at Jake who was now looking furiously at me.