03

Chapter Three | Back To Normal

After filling myself up at brunch, De'Andre dropped my off at home. Immediately, once I stepped out the car I was hit with the many memories I've made over the years here. The time I scraped my knee on the stone pathway and cried for hours. The time my dad and I would wash the cars outside the garage, and just end up spraying each other with the water hose. The time my mother and I sat outside on the stone steps one night and just talked about the stars. If only I had known back then that that would've been our last conversation.

After getting all my belongings inside with the help of Andre, we hugged each other goodbye, before he left.

"Make sure to tell Uncle I said wassup, okay?" He winked at me, and I smiled, nodding my head at him.

I never really knew why, but the smell of cinnamon always made my nose twist up in a way nothing else could.

I think it was because of how often the scent found its way into my nostrils, whether from the skin of my mother or our grand kitchen where my dad, constantly used it as if it were the only delightful flavor in the entire world. It stuck to my clothes, skin and hair until I gave up trying to get rid of it, instead letting it sink further into belongings. My friends would ask me why I smelt so good, or why it was always cinnamon, but instead of giving them a logical or charismatic answer, I would grimace.

And, as I slowly made my way into the foyer, I felt my nose twitching as cinnamon wrapped me in a forced hug. I paused, tried to think of something pleasant and when I fond childhood memory came to mind, I continued.

Placing my bags down in the foyer, I could hear my family's chatter before I even reached the living room area, it's becoming louder and louder with each step that I took. Just before I pressed my palm against the tall, cream colored door to the living area, I stopped dead in my tracks. Quickly straightening myself, smoothed down my clothes, and inhaled and exhaled a few breath.

Inhale.

Exhale.

Inhale.

Exhale-

"Asher!" The soft voice caught me off guard, my eyes widened when a pair of fragile hands wrapped around my torso. I looked down at the dark curly hair filled with colorful beads and smiled.

"Clover!" I embraced my little sister in a hug, swiftly sweeping her off her feet, and into the air. Her loud giggles filling the room. "You've gotten big since the last time I seen you girl."

I placed her back down the ground and she grinned up at me. "Well duh, I'm six now." She playfully rolled her eyes at me, holding her four fingers. I chuckled at her, before bending down to her level and extending the other two fingers for her.