Chapter 24: Dead Weight

"Are you sure no one noticed?" You asked, nibbling on the last piece of your bread. "I don't want you guys to get in trouble because of me..."

Both of the boys shrugged and rushed to wave away your worries. They didn't mind, even if there was a possibility of getting in trouble.

"Don't worry about it, Sunshine," Reiner laughed, swinging an arm around your shoulders. "You're worth it."

Bertholdt nodded in agreement, "yeah, (F/n). Don't worry."

You nodded, heat rising to your cheeks. This kind of attention was definitely knew to you—being dotted on and such. It made your chest feel tight and your heart stutter.

Clearing your throat, you tried ridding your head with those thoughts. It wouldn't do you any good overthinking those kind of things. Instead, you asked a question that had been pressing on your mind since waking up.

"Er, did Tho—did anyone I know die?" You stopped yourself before saying Thomas. You weren't sure you could even say his name at the moment without wanting to burst out of this room and find him.

"No, I don't think so," Bertholdt responded. "The Reece t-twins are alive and Thomas is alright."

You nodded and breathed a sigh of relief. At least they were ok. Though it felt selfish thinking that. So many lives were lost and you were afraid of loosing your friends—it was ridiculous. These people here were fighting a war for their lives and you were worried about friends—friends for fuck's sake!

"Hey, don't look so glum," Reiner hummed, one of thick fingers playfully poking your cheek. "Everyone is fine. We're just worried about you."

"Yeah," Bertholdt added. "No one knew what exactly happened except for Eren and the Corporal and Eren won't tell us. He-he hasn't really said much s-since then..."

You frowned and stared at your bread. Eren didn't deserve the stress or the pain you caused. The brunet had enough on his plate.

"Oh," you murmured.

A long silence followed. You weren't sure what to say and the two boys seemed to have a silent conversation of their own, probably regarding you. You were sort of taking over Bertholdt's room...

"Hey," Bertholdt finally said, slicing through the silence. "I-I don't want (F/n) to go or anything, bu-but you have to leave eventually and me and R-Reiner aren't exactly medical experts..."

"What the fuck Bert," Reiner groaned. "We can't just show up at the Commander's office with her. He'd think we kidnapped her!"

You and Bertholdt sighed in tandem.

"Maybe I could go alone?" You suggested.

"No!" They both cried.

You flinched and rolled your eyes, "fine."

You crossed your arms over your chest and pouted. This shouldn't have been complicated, yet the boys who began to argue decided it had to be.

"What? That's stupid!"

"N-no, it's a good idea!"

"No."

"Yes."

"No! This—"

Three heavy knocks rung through the air. The three of you froze, both Bertholdt's and Reiner's sentences dying upon their tongues.

"Bertholdt Fubar and Reiner Braun," the unmistakable voice of Erwin Smith announced. Normally his rich tones made your heart flutter, but now it made the blood in your veins run cold.