Chapter 44

I sat on the couch looking at my sleeping mother still deep in thoughts. I wasn't really thinking about anything right now. I was just watching her sleeping peacefully.

It's not like I wanted to think about anything. I wish I could just turn my mind off.

My eyes moved to my vibrating phone and I almost rolled my eyes at the name appearing on it. I took it and answered the call.

"Hello?"

"Vicky. How are you?" Kevin asked.

"I'm fine." I said clearing my throat slightly.

"You don't sound fine." He replied. "Is everything okay?"

"Yes."

"You know you can tell me anything. What's wrong?"

Just play along.

"It's just..." I hesitated. "I think Jason just broke up with me. You were right. I should have stayed focused on my mother and nothing else." I stopped myself and just took a deep breath. "So much is happening right now. It's just too much."

"Do you want to talk about it? Victoria I can help you get anything you want. Anything. You worked your ass off for that company, you deserve that break and more." He said almost angrily. "These people don't deserve you. Jason doesn't deserve you." He sighed and I heard him move on the other line.

"Look, since that psycho has people looking at your house, do you want to meet up somewhere so you can talk to someone."

He knows I want to take a break?

"Okay. But where?" I asked.

"Don't worry about it. I'll send you the address. Are you free tomorrow?"

"Yes."

"Okay the. I'll let you know everything. Just keep your phone with you and I'll see you tomorrow."

"Okay." I hung up after and leaned back closing my eyes tightly.

****

The first thing I did when I got home was take off my heels and throw them somewhere, not really caring where they landed. I was just tired. Too much is happening, and sleep is what I need for everything to be arranged in my head.

"How is your mother?" I heard as soon as I walked in the living-room.

I jumped and turned to face Jason before letting out a sigh while placing my hand on my chest.

"Stop doing that, you creep. You shouldn't be here." I said and he moved closer to me.

"Why not? You are one hell of an actress. You almost scare me. How do you cry on command?" he asked smiling reaching for me but I slapped his hand away before crossing my arms over my chest.

"Come on, please. Don't be mad. I just wanted to get real reactions out of you." He said quietly trying to grab me again but I moved.

"Do you know what you did? You know how anxious I can be and you go and play these types of games. I don't like." I groaned and looked up when my voice cracked and my eyes started burning. "You can't do this. I don't take things the same way you do. I actually have a heart that works the way it's supposed to, unlike you."

At this point, tears literally started streaming down my cheeks and I quickly wiped them away.

Guilt flashed through his eyes and took a slow step toward me, and I took one back glaring at him. "I'm sorry. It was stupid. But I thought th-"